Buses Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

markhowell

Buses

by markhowell » 17 Jun 2021, 11:28

My wife, Stephanie, and I are American. She is a dancer and I am a music archaeologist. We will be in Sfakia for the first time in August, staying at Skaloti, and are very excited about being there. We have been booking as much of our travel throughout Greece on-line with credit cards. But when we've gone to the Heraklion bus station website to buy tickets we can't find any to Sfakia. I know there is a left, or a bus transfer at Vryses, but does that mean we need to buy two tickets, one to Vryses and then one from there to Sfakia? That said, at the moment the bus station A website even indicates that there is no bus to Rethymno on the date we are traveling, and I know that can't be true. Bottom line, there seems to be a problem with the website, but its a bit disconcerting in a post-Covid time to not know for sure how we can get to where we need to go. Any information on the current bus situation in Crete and how we can buy tickets in advance will be greatly appreciated.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Buses

by Erno » 17 Jun 2021, 11:34

You can find the most actual and available bus timetables here:

https://www.e-ktel.com/en/services/dromologia

You should be able to book tickets from there too.

You need to take the bus from Heraklion West bus station towards Chania, and then indeed, when passing Vrisses, change bus, to the Chania - Chora Sfakion one, also crossing Vrisses. Please note at what time the last bus of the day from Chania to Chora Sfakion is passing Vrisses. That is the last moment you can make the connection from Heraklion. In early season this last connection time is often at 14:00 hrs. That means that you need to be in the bus in Heraklion at the latest at 11:30 AM, to make it to Chora Sfakion in the same day.

Somewhere in summer there will be a later connection. If, and when? In these pandemic times nothing is sure. So please keep following the above page nearer the time you need to travel, to look for changes.

BTW, it is also possible, much faster but also more expensive, to make the trip by taxi, directly from Heraklion airport to Skaloti. It takes about 2 hours, instead over 4.5 by bus, and will cost about € 150 one way.

To book a taxi, ask your host in Skaloti, or book online with the Sfakia Taxi Company:

https://www.taxi-sfakia.com/

Have a good trip!
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

markhowell

by markhowell » 17 Jun 2021, 12:06

I tried that website to book our buses but I can't get it to work. Can you get it to work? I would really love to book our tickets, one senior, one adult for August 21. Thank you for your help.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 17 Jun 2021, 12:13

You are right, for that date there still are no valid timetables, so tickets cannot be bought online yet. You need to try nearer your date.

The booking service actually is working, for current timetable routes.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

markhowell

by markhowell » 17 Jun 2021, 12:35

Ok that's helpful because we booked a place for that day though we really need that bus. How soon do you think we can book? Thanks.

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 17 Jun 2021, 14:52

After skaloti, no bus goes ......

kalo dromo, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Micki

by Micki » 17 Jun 2021, 15:04

If you have booked in the village of Skaloti you should be prepared that there is no regular bus connection from Chora Sfakion. Therefore, in my opinion it is the best option to hire a car from Heraklion. Otherwise, you are basically stuck in this small village during your holidays.