Boats along the coast Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

davidsiorns

Boats along the coast

by davidsiorns » 22 Jun 2020, 09:05

Over the years that i have been visiting Sfakia i have never managed to get to Paleochora. There is never a boat that will allow you to leave Chora and return the same day and driving there is a marathon. The shipping company and the communities along the coast are surely missing a good commercial opportunity. A day cruising along the coast and a wander around the ports along the way and at either end would be a wonderful day out.

robertbean05

Re: Boats along the coast

by robertbean05 » 22 Jun 2020, 10:47

Hi David,
Why not do as we did last year? We started in the west with an enjoyable stay in Paleochora, we stopped again in Agia Roumeli before continuing on to Loutro and Chora Sfakion and a couple of wonderful nights in Anopolis. Past visits started in Sougia before catching the ferry east and we have loved them all. I agree that a coastal cruise between Chora Sfakion and Paleochora is an eye-catching event but a daily return wouldn't do justice to the villages along the way, they are worth more than a wander, and I don't think that a daily return would have sufficient patronage to be economical, (in my opinion).
Regards, Bob.

rambler

by rambler » 22 Jun 2020, 11:15

Yes, I agree it would be great to have that. The local ferry company NEN Kritis used to have (finished last year) a morning boat that would get you from Sfakia as far as Sougia but there was nothing back East in the afternoon. Anendyk started a service from Ag Irini via Plakias to Gavdos a year or two ago which perhaps would make more money going to Sfakia & the ports west to Paleochora. On my last visit to Loutro in September in the year 1 BC (before Coronavirus) I noticed the large increase in boat activity including ferry boats, Taxi boats & private boats since my last visit about 5 years ago , but of course what happens in the near future after the chaos is anybody's guess. Dave

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 22 Jun 2020, 17:14

There and back in one day seems impossible at the moment unless you have a high speed motor boat and a taxi waiting for you at each port to wisk you around the village for a quick visit. However, a two or three day return trip with accommodation and meals inlcuded could be financially viable for a small, local tour operator.

davidsiorns

by davidsiorns » 24 Jun 2020, 18:24

I agree that it would be ideal to stop at all the places along the coast but the trip itself just cruising along the coast would be a great experience and introduction and would lead to stops etc. It is purely a matter of timing since a boat leaving Sfakia in the morning could easily make the return trip in the evening