Journal of Modern Greek Studies Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Peter

Journal of Modern Greek Studies

by Peter » 29 Apr 2020, 14:39

People might like to look at the new edition of the Journal of Modern Greek Studies, now available at

https://muse.jhu.edu/issue/42224

There is a very interesting article based on research in Sfakia - you can download a pdf for free – by Konstantinos Kalantzis entitled “Picturing the Imaginable: Fantasy, Photography, and Displacement in the Highland Cretan ‘Village’”. Amongst other things, if you want to understand the cultural and historical context in which the Xenia Hotel is currently being refaced with stone, this will tell you!

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Journal of Modern Greek Studies

by Erno » 29 Apr 2020, 19:58

Thanks Peter!

Now I know about the revived Sfakian practice of renovating buildings by an exterior layer of stones, idealising the past.

By the same author, on this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1252

Tradition in the Frame
Photography, Power, and Imagination in Sfakia, Crete
Konstantinos Kalantzis
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Marie and Andrew

Re: Journal of Modern Greek Studies

by Marie and Andrew » 06 May 2020, 19:32

Hello Peter,
This looks very interesting. Marie will print it out at her work in the hospital tomorrow. We looked at the pictures and are looking forward to read about it.
We were at least lucky to go to England in the middle of December to the Wirral and north wales to see my brother Will (who was not well at the time) and my sister in law Barbara.
Say hello to Jean from us. [<>~]

Hope to see you in October (our trips in April, May and September have been canceled).
Have a nice summer home in England. [(0)] [(0)] [(0)] [(0)]

Best regards
Marie and Andrew