Ascent of Pachnes, Trocharis, Thodori Korfi und Chorafas Korfi from Anopoli Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Roland

Ascent of Pachnes, Trocharis, Thodori Korfi und Chorafas Korfi from Anopoli

by Roland » 20 May 2019, 05:00

Yesterday at 6 o'clock I started in Anopoli in my trailrunningshoes. After Agathopi I crossed the first snowfields. Soon there was the first quite steep one, and to get to the point, where the trucks stop normally in a kind of a bassin, I had to take my lightweight-ice axe out of my rucksack, because the winds had build a very steep snowwall. Towards Roussies two other steep passages - to recommend only, if you have enough alpine experience! More above,where one sees Pachnes for the first time, sometimes one can see parts of the nice path - but many snowfields interrupt it. Where it was possible, I avoided these steep and dangerous snwowfields heading more to the left towards the ridge, where I could climb up in dry rock. But it means, that following the ridge you do a longer way, because there are two short descents. After 4 1/2 hours I reached quite exhausted the dry top of Pachnes. Right behind the pile of stones at the top I sat, protected from the wind, for half a happy hour. Then I slided down to the saddle in direction to Trocharis. A nice dry ascent brought me to top of Trocharis. Another nice sliding, like skiing, down and another short ascent up to Thodori Korfi-North, then to the top of Thodori-Korfi-South (2317m), where I saw the nice snowfield, from which I had started with my paraglider a week before. Some other nice slidings on snow, then quite a long distance up and down to Chorafas Korfi. After that some steep and not very pleasant passages with loose rocks and plants, down to Agathopi again. From there I went down as I had come up - it is really a big pity, that this very old mule-path had been almost destroyed by that snow- and stone-avalanche some years ago. Nine hours after my start I arrived in Anopoli again - where I had a biiiiiiiiiiig beer (and it was not the last I had yesterday :D )
In the whole a very impressive walk - but regarding the actual conditions, the ascent of these mountains is recommended NOW only for experienced alpinists. A light ice-axe is very recommended!! Okay, for me with my light trailrunning-shoes, it was compulsory to have it with me anyway. As a reserve, I had a pair of light crampons in my bag - but did not use them.
I will soon add plenty of nice pics that I took from the yesterday's climbing action...
Attachments
IMG_6467.JPG
IMG_6459.JPG
IMG_6456.JPG
IMG_6455.JPG
IMG_6454.JPG
IMG_6449.JPG
IMG_6453.JPG
IMG_6446.JPG
IMG_6445.JPG
IMG_6442.JPG

Jean

Re: Ascent of Pachnes, Trocharis, Thodori Korfi und Chorafas Korfi from Anopoli

by Jean » 20 May 2019, 07:12

Another amazing hike, Roland, especially without using crampons on the steep snowfields. Glad you completed this long route safely. I imagine you didn't see any other foot/ski prints up there this early in the season.
Last edited by Jean on 20 May 2019, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

Roland

by Roland » 20 May 2019, 07:19

Dear Jean - no, no traces there. Probably no one climbed Pachnes since some weeks or months...

Lennert

by Lennert » 20 May 2019, 08:21

Hi Roland
Nice meeting and talking to you in Anopoli. Back in Denmark yesterday evening. I will post in the forum within a short time.
Best regards also from Jesper

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 20 May 2019, 18:23

Hello Roland,
For The first we would like to welcome you to the Sfakia forum!!
Thanks a lot for sharing your very fantastic adventures. It is so nice for us all to able so see all this amazing places through you.
Is this your first time in Sfakia?
How long will you be staying in Sfakia area?

Best regards
Marie and Andrew Taylor Sweden/England

Roland

by Roland » 21 May 2019, 09:24

Hi Marie and Andrew
Thanks for your nice words! But no, it is not the first time at all that I have been in the Sfakia - rather about the 20th time!! I have climbed almost all the tops of the Levka Ori, only few of them lack. And the flight from Thodori Korfi was my fifth flight from a Levka Ori Summit (and the third from Thodori Korfi). In the last years I published quite a lot of posts in the Levka-Ori-Forum - till this year I did not know that there is another forum, this one on which we are now!
This morning I helped Babis here in Anopoli - he has a lot of sheep -- and in a week there well be the pre-wedding-party of his son Jorgos. For that I helped him to clean the place where the party will take place -- or rather take off?? :-), that was quite a bit of work.
Greetings to you from Roland

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 22 May 2019, 19:15

Hello Roland,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Very nice. Now we know that you are very familiar with the area and have been here many times.
So thanks again from us at the Sfakia forum, that you have found us, so we can enjoy all your lovely expeditions you undertake.
And thanks alot for the forum levka-ori.com, we have been reading it this evening, so interesting.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew
Sweden/England