From a small snowfield on Thodori Korfi (2317m) to Nera Glyka, flying with a paraglider Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Roland

From a small snowfield on Thodori Korfi (2317m) to Nera Glyka, flying with a paraglider

by Roland » 12 May 2019, 13:56

Today at 6 o'clock I started at Anopoli from my room of the baker's Giannis on the road direction Roussies-Pachnes. At Gonia I left it and took the old mulepath directly to Agathopi (where by the way snow stops trucks now! At 1400 m). There I turned left, rather planty first, but stable and very rough rock, easy to go, beside of some very loose stone-passages, towards Chorafas Korfi. From there quite a long traverse, about 2 kilometers, up an down, avoiding big sink-holes, but wihtout gaining almost any height, brings you to the final slopes to Thodori Korfi. The whole ascent took me 3 1/2 hours (but be aware - an average hiker needs for that certainly 6 hours). At the top I waited at my old, prepared, yet stony starting point almost an hour for better winds - and then went, just to do something against boreness, forty meters to the left around the top ---- and found a super, yet small snowfield, that I did not see from beneath. There the wind was coming directly upwards: perfect! I installed my harness, fixed my iPhone at it, put the glider on the snow - while opening it piece by piece, I covered it on its downside every meter with a small pile of snow, to avoid, that it gets blown away or turn around and makes a mess in my thin lines. At 10.30 exactly I pulled the lines of my glider with the completely certain feeling, that there were no problems at all - a perfect, relaxed start on that flat snowfield. One or two steps later I was in the air, I joodeld even before taking off... I did four telephone-calls during the flight, to announce my local friends from Anopoli, that I am in the air, in case they wanted to watch me flying above the village - till Anopoli you fly almost 8 km completely straight, you don't need to have your hands on the brakes. Flying half a kilometer above the church of Agia Ekaterini, I saw Nera Glyka - very exposed, incredibly nice to have such a view, that you never have, if you do not see it from the air. Half an hour after the start my incredibly panoramic flight was over - I landed smoothly in very calm conditions at the astonishlingly empty Sweet-Water-Beach. Jorgos from the taverna took a film of the last two minutes of my flight. Well folks, that was it for today!
Attachments
IMG_6211.JPG
looking back to the Levka Ori from the air, in the centre Thodori Korfi, where I started
IMG_6205.JPG
my cool glider (1.36 kg!! Ozone xxlite2)
IMG_6201.JPG
Anopoli from the air
IMG_6189.JPG
happy in the air
Unbenannt.PNG
my startpoint at 2317m
IMG_6175.JPG
an impressive sinkhole towards Thodori Korfi
IMG_6174.JPG
Thodori Korfi seen from Chorafas Korfi
IMG_6173.JPG
IMG_6172.JPG
the first passage above Agathopi, rather planty but no big deal
IMG_6171.JPG
Snow stops trucks now at Agathopi, 1400m

Erno
Site Admin

Re: From a small snowfield on Thodori Korfi (2317m) to Nera Glyka, flying with a paraglider

by Erno » 12 May 2019, 14:09

Spectacular and very beautiful. Thanks for sharing! I wouldn't dare it myself, but at least now I can enjoy your views (tu)
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Jean

Re: From a small snowfield on Thodori Korfi (2317m) to Nera Glyka, flying with a paraglider

by Jean » 12 May 2019, 15:07

Amazing views, both your on hike up and, especially, from the air. Glad it all went smoothly and safely. Thank you for sharing this daring adventure!