Direct Ascent of Kedrokefala (1719m) along South-Ridge Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Roland

Direct Ascent of Kedrokefala (1719m) along South-Ridge

by Roland » 10 May 2019, 05:31

Yesterday I rode on my bike from Anopoli on the road to Roussies, but instead of turning right after two kilometers I turned left and followed the dirt road to its circular end, where hundreds of bee-houses are installed. By foot I continued northwest, first in easy terrain with a lot of stones and goats. When I got close to the ridge (behind of which it goes steep down to one of the upper branches of the Aradena gorge) I climbed directly upwards, and it soon got quite steep. I found very old traces of a path - at least I think it were not animal traces, because it kind of zigzags up. But soon there were no more such tracks. I climbed up an almost vertical 5m-passage in excellent rock with good holds, quite exposed yet, and got on the easier ridge again. There I built a cairn to find this place, in case I should have to return. After that endless rocky ground followed with a lot of leaves and cones. Some scary vertical passages I avoided by going left or right. At about 1500m I found the very nice rocktower that I called "Mushroom" because of its form. Higher above I traversed quite exposed about hundred meters to the right and got in a narrow gorge, that leeds up to the plateau near Kedrokefala. There are some delicate passages in this gorge - but two hours after my start I reached Kedrokefala. Like the day before, there was a fast development of fog - eastwards I walked down in slippery terrain to the old mule path, that leads down to Gonia. From there I had to get my bike again... would have been a better idea to depose it further down...
Attachments
IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6082.JPG
IMG_6080 (2).JPG
IMG_6104 - Kopie (2) - Kopie.JPG

simon-1978

Re: Direct Ascent of Kedrokefala (1719m) along South-Ridge

by simon-1978 » 11 May 2019, 14:58

Thank you, Roland, for the description of this great walk. Probably, not many people have been there!

Best wishes
Simon