More Agios Ioannis Post your favourite photo or video of Crete, show your Cretan holiday photos and video.

Tone

More Agios Ioannis

by Tone » 08 Jun 2021, 12:50

If any of you are interested in more old pictures from Agios Ioannis, you can check my website:
www.agios-ioannis-sfakia.com

jean h

Re: More Agios Ioannis

by jean h » 08 Jun 2021, 13:09

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this wonderful gift of your photos and text about Agios Ioannis!

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 08 Jun 2021, 13:13

Thank you, Tone! Very well done and very interesting. Have started reading.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

bearbommi

by bearbommi » 09 Jun 2021, 05:44

Tusen takk,
det er veldig spennende. Jeg takker saa mye for alle beskrivelser. Det er en fornöyelse aa lese dette.
Hilsen Bernd

arnulf

by arnulf » 09 Jun 2021, 11:38

Hello!

This was very interesting! Agios Ioannis is a very special place!

I thought I knew most of the history about this place, but I learned a lot reading these stories!

It will be in my mind when I visit A. Ioannis the next time - hopefully in September this year!

Thank you!!

All the best

Arnulf Sunde

robertbean05

by robertbean05 » 10 Jun 2021, 00:34

Thank you so much. This is fascinating. Beautifully descriptive writing and beautiful photography. So well presented.
Bob.

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 13 Jun 2021, 06:02

Kalimera Tone, what a wonderful project, almost a little scientific work.

When you see Agios Ioannis today you can hardly believe that it once had 3 kafeneia or Livanianá had a primary school ......

na se kala, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

jimb

by jimb » 16 Jun 2021, 09:51

Thank you very much for posting this up, it is such a beautiful place to visit and to stay.
Did you see see any sight of or hear from the locals of a vineyard on the outskirts of the village.?
Growing vines probably stopped in the mid 1960's I just wondered if you had heard about it.
My information is all second hand. I had been hiking with someone I had met while staying in Sfakia and as we were coming down the zigzag road above the village, he pointed out overgrown terraces on the opposite side of the village and remarked that they had grown vines there until the 1960's. Has anyone else heard of this.?
I always meant to go and try and find the site but either I wanted to do other things or perhaps in the forest I could not get my orientation correct. I never got there and always wondered.
Regards
Jim

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 16 Jun 2021, 22:05

A few days ago I spoke to a woman in Agia Roumeli who lives in Agios Ioannis. She said that there are currently 10 people living in Agios Ioannis.

na se kala, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Tone

by Tone » 17 Jun 2021, 07:36

jimb wrote:Thank you very much for posting this up, it is such a beautiful place to visit and to stay.
Did you see see any sight of or hear from the locals of a vineyard on the outskirts of the village.?
Growing vines probably stopped in the mid 1960's I just wondered if you had heard about it.
My information is all second hand. I had been hiking with someone I had met while staying in Sfakia and as we were coming down the zigzag road above the village, he pointed out overgrown terraces on the opposite side of the village and remarked that they had grown vines there until the 1960's. Has anyone else heard of this.?
I always meant to go and try and find the site but either I wanted to do other things or perhaps in the forest I could not get my orientation correct. I never got there and always wondered.
Regards
Jim

Hi Jim,
I remember vineyards in the lower part of the village, but not on the outskirts. The village had a lot of abandoned terraces so your information might be correct.
Regards
Tone