Planning to Come to Crete what should I do? Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

davidsiorns

Planning to Come to Crete what should I do?

by davidsiorns » 17 Apr 2021, 11:51

Since we Brits still do not know when we will be allowed to travel abroad it don't want to book just yet. Don't know if we will be allowed to land in Greece since sadly things seem to be going the wrong way there. Even if we are allowed to travel will I be able to get a flight? If I can get there will I be able to come back at the allotted time or would I be one of those scrambling to get back before the UK borders are closed again when an xth wave is star [<>~] ting and there is a sudden change to the rules? Do I just give up ?

Micki

Re: Planning to Come to Crete what should I do?

by Micki » 17 Apr 2021, 15:01

Brits have been more adventurous in former times, haven't they? [ZZZzzz] :roll:

jan

by jan » 18 Apr 2021, 09:21

This Brit is hoping to come. Flights have been booked since last year - if they're cancelled we'll just have to (try to) grin and bear it. Nothing we can do to alter the situation.

Last year we managed to get out in October and felt welcome in each of our stopping places (we walk from point to point). In turn, we felt that as well as enjoying ourselves we were putting back a little into the local economy.

Each person must make their own decision, and we're fortunate despite being no longer young to be in good health and vaccinated.

jonca

by jonca » 23 Apr 2021, 08:47

And this Brit is also absolutely itching to get back to Sfakia and Selino. My arrival is 22nd May, so theoretically do-able.
Happy (?) to have and pay for all the necessary tests as I have had only 1 vaccination but can't really do quarantine on return to UK (as gotta work!) I'll be pretty much self isolating in Crete as will be up in Lefka Ori for first 5 or 6 days.
Keeping my fingers crossed for a green status, but life's too short to worry about that changing while there, marooned in Crete sounds pretty good to me! ("Honestly boss, it's out of my hands")
Have another visit in September, more road trip with my wife, east from Sfakia to Triopetra, so if May doesn't work, thinking of dropping her at the airport and heading back on my own! :D

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 23 Apr 2021, 17:04

Dear jonca. Have you told you wife about your plan. Or maybe it will backfire and she'll be happy to say goodby to you at the airport :-))

wiklu

by wiklu » 03 May 2021, 15:52

I am in the same situation. I am going to need a PCR test for my return. Tuesday in Sfakia is not suitable as my flight is on Saturday. As Erno says there might be changes or more facilities after May 15th.

Micki

by Micki » 03 May 2021, 17:16

Dear Wiklu,

Firstly, thank you very much for your recent photos from Sfakia. It ist so good to see, that things are slowly getting back to ‚normal‘.

Regarding the tests that are required for return flights to Germany: according to the RKI also antigen tests are accepted that are in agreement with the WHO standards. Among them the Roche test that is widely used in Greece. That might make things a little easier.