Last section of road to Sfakia widened Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

jean h

Last section of road to Sfakia widened

by jean h » 05 Apr 2021, 09:26

Sent to me from George Dalidakis: the last "souvenir" section of old road on the way down to Sfakia is finally being widened and asphalted.

IMG_0073.JPG

jimb

Re: Last section of road to Sfakia widened

by jimb » 07 Apr 2021, 08:40

The widening of the road reminded me of the first time I drove to Sfakia. It was the time when it was still the very narrow road which wound its way down and down. The stress of driving on "the wrong side of the road" was further increased when I found myself on a road not much wider than the small hire car I was driving. It was raining heavily and the road was littered with large tire shredding stones. From the corner of my eye I saw a very large boulder coming rolling down the hillside and pass on down just a few metres ahead of me. Then I met a bus, which was not going to reverse to a passing place, now was it?
I got to Sfakia unscathed, the rain went off and the sun came out and all was well.
Tunnels were bored the road straightened and was now wide enough to miss most of the avalanche debris
Jim

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 07 Apr 2021, 17:52

Hello Jim,

Thanks for your story of your first visit to Sfakia. We can only imagine how difficult it must have been for you on that road. What year would that have been? We have only experience the road as it was before this roadwork just been done. We have been coming since 2014. Do you hope to come this year to Sfakia?
We had airplanetickets booked to Chania airport for April with Norwegian which was cancelled, and which are changed to October 2021 instead, and then we just have to hope that the situation is better then.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew Taylor

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 07 Apr 2021, 18:01

Hello Jean,
Hope you and Peter are both well.
Thanks for the picture of the widening road which you recieved from George Daridakis, Hopefully we will meet you and Peter at the end of this year in the wonderful Chora Sfakion.
Take care and have a nice summer.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew

jean h

by jean h » 08 Apr 2021, 05:50

George D. has sent me some more photos of ongoing road improvements in Sfakia ( taken from the Mayor's facebook page) - the road in Frangokastello is being resurfaced now. When we finally get back to Sfakia, it will be interesting to see all the changes after two years absence!

IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG

jimb

by jimb » 09 Apr 2021, 18:31

Hello Marie and Andrew.
According to my climbing companion Dave, the year was 2007. This was our first trip to Crete specifically for mountaineering, options on flights from Scotland at that time were very limited, we could only get out as part of a package holiday(no Ryanair, Easyjet etc) and although we hunted for a resort as close to the White Mountains as possible all we could get was a resort just east of Rethimnon. This was OK for Psiloritis but a fair drive to Omalos for Mount Gingilos etc.
The next few years we were able to get a seat only flight(almost as expensive as the whole package) and based ourselves in Sfakia but still had to fly into/out off Iraklion with the 3 hour drive each way. But still worth the discomfort and effort.
Jim