Photos from Agios Ioannis in the 70´s Post your favourite photo or video of Crete, show your Cretan holiday photos and video.

Tone

Photos from Agios Ioannis in the 70´s

by Tone » 21 May 2020, 14:50

In the late 70´s my husband and I spent a year in the village of Agios Ioannis in Sfakia. Not many people live in the village today, but we have our memories - and a lot of pictures.
One picture shows the extent of the village in 1978-79, from above, looking west. At that time Agios Ioannis had a total of 55 inhabitants, comprising 13 households.
The other pictures show two of the local inhabitants: Sifi the poet, with log on shoulder, and Georgios, our host, on his donkey.
Attachments
Ayios Ioannis, Sfakia 1978.jpg
Sifi 1979.jpg
Georgios 1979.jpg

Jean

Re: Photos from Agios Ioannis in the 70´s

by Jean » 21 May 2020, 16:08

Thank you for posting these very interesting old photos. That must have been a very special year that you spent in Agios Ioannis!

Ludo

by Ludo » 22 May 2020, 18:35

Thank's very much, I just love your story, and the pictures! Must have been great that time...
" a lot of pictures"....? Please post some more! ;)

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 22 May 2020, 18:48

I completely agree with Ludo. Thank you so much, and if possible, please show us more (tu)
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 07 Nov 2020, 23:59

"In the late 70´s my husband and I spent a year in the village of Agios Ioannis in Sfakia.",

jassou Tone, these will forever be unforgettable experiences and memories. I would like to know more about your time in Agios Ioannis.

The book "Wind auf Kreta" already gives you a good insight into life in the sixties on Crete. The book "In Der Sfakia" also gives a good impression of life and customs in the Sfakia.

Ta Leme, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Tone

by Tone » 26 Nov 2020, 11:19

kokkinos vrachos wrote:"In the late 70´s my husband and I spent a year in the village of Agios Ioannis in Sfakia.",

jassou Tone, these will forever be unforgettable experiences and memories. I would like to know more about your time in Agios Ioannis.

The book "Wind auf Kreta" already gives you a good insight into life in the sixties on Crete. The book "In Der Sfakia" also gives a good impression of life and customs in the Sfakia.

Ta Leme, kv

Our time in Agios Ioannis was unforgettable, and we will always be grateful that we had the opportunity to stay for a whole year. "Winds of Crete" was a great inspiration and so was "The Strondhold" by Xan Fielding. "In Sfakia" is a new one for us and we will definitely look it up.

I don´t know how many people there are in Agios Ioannis today. When I was in touch with Andonis Georgedakis at the Alonia Guest house in Agios Ioannis this summer (he was a sweet little boy when we where living there), he said there were still people living there. But I don't think there are many.

I am trying to make a web site with some text and lots of pictures about the village in the late 70s. Slow work but I might finish it sometime...

Best regards

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 26 Nov 2020, 11:43

Kalimera Tone,

"I am trying to make a web site with some text and lots of pictures about the village in the late 70s. Slow work but I might finish it sometime..."

That would be super nice, about Agios Ioannis, this extraordinary village.

καλό χειμώνα, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Micki

by Micki » 28 Nov 2020, 14:10

"I am trying to make a web site with some text and lots of pictures about the village in the late 70s. Slow work but I might finish it sometime... "

Jassou Tone,

it would be great to have such a collection of old pictures from Agios Ionannis. Thank you very much or your effort.

Apart from the Alonia Guesthouse there are at least 3 houses along the road to Kroussia that are inhabited (maybe not in winter).

Regards,
Michael