Skaloti Gorge Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

kokkinos vrachos

From Kalikratis through the Manikas Gorge to Skalotis

by kokkinos vrachos » 07 Nov 2020, 11:42

Kalimera, I hiked from Kallikratis through the Manikas Gorge to Skaloti 5 years ago.

The Manikas Gorge is not as easy a walk as the Kallikratis Gorge or Asfendou Gorge to the west.

The starting point was the beautiful mountain village of Kallikratis. From Kallikratis on the road east to Miriokefala. At the first gravel road after the church, it is 1.15 hours on the right through a lonely mountain landscape to the small, quiet plain with the abandoned village of Manikas. Except for sheep, not a single soul far and wide.

Shortly after the abandoned village, turn left down into the gorge. The route is marked with blue dots. The first few minutes are very difficult because the ground is very pebbly. A walking stick is very helpful.

After 1.30 a.m. you pass the bottom of the gorge for the first time, after another 20 minutes you have arrived at the bottom of the gorge.

After 30 minutes you leave the gorge on the right. Passing an old red car, after another 10 minutes you will reach the street to Skaloti.

The course of the route often runs on a kalderimi, which is in poor condition and is sometimes very overgrown. Sometimes there is no way to be seen, and you have to look out for the blue dots.

Didn't meet anyone on the hike.

There are several taverns and kafenia in Kallikratis.

Map: Anavasi 11.17. Plakias / Frangokastello 1: 25: 000.

kaló Savvatokýriako, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis