Walking part of the Agia Irini Gorge Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Spinx

Walking part of the Agia Irini Gorge

by Spinx » 13 Aug 2019, 07:32

We will be staying in Paleochora in early October and hope to visit Sougia by ferry. Does anyone know if there is a return fare as opposed to the 11€20 each way? We plan on walking part of the Agia Irini Gorge from Sougia end in the morning, before spending the afternoon on the beach. Any tips or advice much appreciated. Huw and Sandra.

Spinx

Re: ANENDYK special ferry trips for this week

by Spinx » 13 Aug 2019, 10:07

Spinx wrote:We will be staying in Paleochora in early October and hope to visit Sougia by ferry. Does anyone know if there is a return fare as opposed to the 11€20 each way? We plan on walking part of the Agia Irini Gorge from Sougia end in the morning, before spending the afternoon on the beach. Any tips or advice much appreciated. Huw and Sandra.

I understand an alternative could be bus from Paleochora to Agia Eirini, walk to Sougia and ferry back. Anyone with knowledge of bus times in morning. KTEL says 07.30 to Chania. Would this drop off at top entrance to Gorge?

Thanks again. Huw

rambler

by rambler » 14 Aug 2019, 22:20

In reply to Huw & Sandra's question. To reach the top end of the Agia irini gorge from Paleochora you would need to get the 0615 KTEL service bus to Omalos, the buses to Hania from Paleochora do not go via that route. I checked a timetable from KTEL on 16 Oct 2017 & there was still a daily bus to Omalos. I would definitely check locally in Paleochora in case it has been terminated for the autumn or reduced to certain days only. Yes you can get a return ticket on both Anendyk & NEN ferries which is slightly cheaper than 2 single fares. If using the NEN ferry I would again check if it's still running in Oct as the timetable does not give that information & they don't seem to answer emails that I have sent to them in the past. Dave

jan

by jan » 15 Aug 2019, 06:47

I can't speak for October, but in previous years and earlier in the year it's been possible to do a 'bus swap' at the point where the routes from Sougia and Palaeochora meet. One bus then continues to Chania via Ag Irini village where the gorge begins. You then walk down the gorge to Sougia and pick up the ferry on its route from Ag Roumeli to Palaeo.

Best to check locally once you arrive in Palaeo.

Jan

Spinx

Re: Walking part of the Agia Irini Gorge

by Spinx » 15 Aug 2019, 09:36

Thanks for the replies. I have also contacted Sabine Travel who run a bus to Agia Irini. Hopefully still going in early October.