Serious damage in Crete due to heavy rain Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Serious damage in Crete due to heavy rain

by Erno » 27 Feb 2019, 11:38

Here is a drone video of some of the destruction to the bridges in Chania prefecture: :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-gvyM9TAbc
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 27 Feb 2019, 11:56

The road through Kourtaliotiko gorge to Plakias no longer exists - 27 February, 2019

kourtaliotiko-faraggi-dromos-1.jpg

Complete is the destruction of the road to the Municipality of Agios Vasilios in Rethymno, from Koxare to Plakias.

The titanic force of the Kourtaliotis River's waters during the severe Monday rainfall completely broke the road that crossed the Kourtaliotiko gorge.

The only road from Rethymnon to reach Plakias is through the Kotsifos Gorge.

The photos speak for themselves:

kourtaliotiko-faraggi-dromos-2.jpg

kourtaliotiko-faraggi-dromos-3.jpg

kourtaliotiko-faraggi-dromos-4.jpg

kourtaliotiko-faraggi-dromos-5.jpg

From: https://flashnews.gr/post/381606/tromak ... dromo-fwto
All the best,

Erno

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 05 Mar 2019, 10:57

More than 200 million euros damage in West Crete - 5 March, 2019

Over 200 million euros are estimated to be the cost of damage to Crete from the bad weather that hit the island in the past few days.

During a meeting in the presence of the Minister of Rural Development, Mr. Arachovitis, the Vice-Prefect of Chania, Mr. Apostolos Voulgarakis, said that until now the interventions of the Ministries were effective, while the Regional Governor of Crete, Stavros Arnaoutakis, said that it was an unprecedented situation for Crete and pointed out that the state mechanism was operating in order to support the counties of Chania and Rethymnon, while at the same time stressed that, within three working days, the Region of Crete received EUR 12 million for direct interventions plus the 15 million granted for interventions in the BOAK, the northern coastal highway.

From: http://www.haniotika-nea.gr/arnaoutakis ... on-zimion/
All the best,

Erno

simon-1978

by simon-1978 » 14 Mar 2019, 06:34

I can report that Sfakia was more or less lucky as few roads have been destroyed. Other areas further to the east (Plakias) and especially the west (Falassarna, Elafonissi and inland) have a lot bigger damaged to cope with. The footpaths - f. i. on the South coast from Agia Roumeli to Marmara - are obviously in a good condition, although some damages are reported from the section between Loutro and Sfakia. The damages in the Samaria gorge seem not that big.

Best wishes
Simon

Jean

by Jean » 14 Mar 2019, 07:15

Thanks for the road and footpath information, Simon.

simon-1978

by simon-1978 » 14 Mar 2019, 12:33

In more detail: The main road to Sfakia and further to Anopolis and Agios Ioannis is mainly OK. The road towards Frangokastello is also mainly OK. The road up from Patsianos to Kallikratis has some damages but is passable. The same is true for the Imbros/Askifou to Kallikratis road (minor damages). I don't know if the road to Skaloti Rodakino is passable but assume it is. And I have no information for Kallikratis - Asi Gonia. I have seen a car on the Lykos - Anopoli road and therefore assume it is passable.

Best wishes
Simon

Jean

by Jean » 26 Mar 2019, 13:54

Here is a brief update on what Erno and Simon posted earlier:

Chora Sfakion
Although a lot of the mess has been cleared up from the heavy rain landslips, there are still fallen rocks on the way to the ferry ramp and beyond which we’re told should get cleared up soon. The boulder is still blocking the top of the stone steps up to the bus parking area, and it may need to be broken up in order to remove it. The hillside will need to be stabilized, as there are large loose rocks on the slopes which may need to be removed before they tumble down – the government is providing money for this work.

rock fall by war memorial.jpg
boulder at top of steps.jpg
boulder after slipway.jpg

Samaria Gorge
We have been told that the road to Omalos from the north has been damaged in places and buses cannot pass, although cars can with care. As for the gorge itself, an English university group that is in the village this week went to Roumeli yesterday and reported that the water is chest high at the iron portals, so it’s not possible to walk up the gorge from below at the moment.

Imbros Gorge
We were told that there is a damaged section in the Imbros Gorge, but I have no information about how bad it is.

Loutro path
Someone said that the path from Loutro to Sfakia has one damaged section, but no one seems to know how dangerous it is, or where the damage is.

The government is supposed to be repairing all these affected areas in time for the tourist season.

We will listen out for reports from other early tourists here about paths and roads. I will not walk alone on any gorge paths until I know their condition. Now that the sun is out, the wet soil will be contracting a bit, so cliff rocks loosened by the rain may loosen even further, causing rocks to fall unexpectedly, especially if goats walk over them. Some of my hiking friends will arrive next week, so we may venture on some paths together.