Spring Flowers Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

jimb

Spring Flowers

by jimb » 07 Mar 2019, 09:40

I will be in Sfakia from 3-10th April and as well as general hiking I would like to see some of the spring flowers which are out(hopefully) at this time. Does anyone know any particular areas where they are most prolific/interesting.
I am not hiring a car to get around so I am limited to the wider Sfakia area, the coastal strip as far as Ay. Roumeli and the Anoplolis, Aradena , Ay. Ioannis area.
I have never visited Sfakia this early in the season and would like to see the plants that are usually just withered stalks when I usually arrive in late May.
Thank you,
Jim

Jean

Re: Spring Flowers

by Jean » 07 Mar 2019, 11:25

The winter in Sfakia has been cold and wet this year, with snow higher up, so that might mean that some flowers will come out later than your visit. It's always worth going up to Anopoli for a variety of flowers along the village road or small paths. All the main gorges usually have interesting flowers in the spring, including the path (above the road) into the Ilingas gorge. The headland around Loutro, and the area above Livaniana also may have lovely displays of flowers early in the season.

I will be in Sfakia when you are there, so make yourself known to me (at the Lefka Ori) and we can talk about locations in more detail.

rambler

by rambler » 07 Mar 2019, 18:10

Hello Jim, I am no expert in flowers but my walking friends have more knowledge & the walk we often do from Askyfou to Asfendou & then down the Asfendou gorge to the coast road at Agios Nectarios in early May. There is always a good show of flowers in the fields about 5 mins after leaving Askyfou. Another area is about 5-10 mins along the path after leaving the village of Asfendou before you get into the gorge proper.
Dave

Jean

by Jean » 07 Mar 2019, 20:37

Yes, the flowers are good on the path from Askyfou to Asfendou, and the orchids are amazing in Asfendou, but early April might be too soon for the orchids. The non-cultivated fields on the south coast (Frangokastello, Cometadis...) also have lots of wild flowers.

jimb

by jimb » 10 Mar 2019, 16:45

Thanks to everyone who has replied. At least you will save me time from wandering about aimlessly and I can now go with some sort of plan as to where to look.
Regards
Jim

simon-1978

by simon-1978 » 14 Mar 2019, 06:45

Jim, I think you can expect lots of flowers when you are there. Now, in early March, there were still very few flowers, due to the cold winter. They should be ou by then in huge quantities, especially in "intermediate" heights. Be aware: The bus connections at this time of the year are problematic....

Best wishes
Simon