Will Visa be needed if 'No Deal' Brexit?? Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

rambler

Will Visa be needed if 'No Deal' Brexit??

by rambler » 01 Feb 2019, 10:36

Does anyone know if UK citizens will need a visa to visit Greece if there is a 'No Deal' Brexit?????????????????????????
I know that if a UK passport has less than 6 months validity at the start of a trip or if it will be older than 9 years 6 months at the end of a trip then a new passport would be needed before leaving the UK.
Dave

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Will Visa be needed if 'No Deal' Brexit??

by Erno » 01 Feb 2019, 11:31

It is not yet clear what will happen in case of a no-deal Brexit. It depends on ad hoc regulations to be made, when it happens.

A no deal Brexit could mean UK travelers having to obtain a Schengen visa to travel to the EU, long queues at passport control, as well as a lack of agreed regulations governing flights between Britain and the EU.

The above is the worst case scenario, if really nothing gets regulated. That would be in nobody's interest. So we have to wait, and see.

The fresh news of today, 1st February, 2019:

EU agrees visa-free travel for UK citizens even after no-deal Brexit - but Gibraltar 'colony' row flares up
Britons won't need a visa for short stays in Europe - but the government is angered by Gibraltar being branded a "colony".

The EU has agreed to allow UK citizens visa-free travel to the continent - even after a no-deal Brexit - but the proposal has risked a fresh row over Gibraltar.

EU ambassadors agreed on Friday that Britons travelling to the bloc's borderless Schengen area - made up of 26 European countries - should be granted visa-free travel for a short stay.

This is defined as 90 days in any 180 days.

A document detailing the proposal states: "Considering the geographical proximity, the link between economies, the level of trade and the extent of short-term movements of persons between the UK and the Union for business, leisure or other purposes, visa-free travel should facilitate tourism and economic activity, thereby bringing benefits to the Union."

The decision will now be passed to the European Parliament, who last month supported visa-free travel even in the event of a no-deal Brexit, to pass into legislation.

The UK government welcomed the news, but a row threatened to blow up after Gibraltar was referred to as "a colony of the British Crown" in the same document.

Reportedly inserted at the request of Spain, a footnote states: "Gibraltar is a colony of the British Crown. There is a controversy between Spain and the United Kingdom concerning the sovereignty over Gibraltar, a territory for which a solution has to be reached in light of the relevant resolutions and decisions of the General Assembly of the United Nations."

From: https://news.sky.com/story/eu-agrees-to ... t-11624541
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

davidsiorns

by davidsiorns » 01 Feb 2019, 16:56

I somehow think that Greece is unlikely to put barriers up to British tourists and will follow the lead of the Portuguese government in announcing measures to make it as easy as possible for tourists to visit. It would be somewhat ironic if the British needed permission(ie a visa) but the Italians and Germans could enter freely!!!!!

robo

by robo » 02 Feb 2019, 18:17

Years ago you just had to fill out a form that was given to you on the flight out with just basic information - your name, the name of the accommodation you were staying at and the length of stay.

robo

bearbommi

by bearbommi » 03 Feb 2019, 10:37

Dear UK citizens, dear davidsiorns,
the only ironic part is, that we have to discuss about this question and no-one has any serious informations.
Voting a bull-shit means also to have to bear the consequences of this mess. Think before you vote!

Lisbeth

by Lisbeth » 03 Feb 2019, 12:41

davidsiorns wrote:I somehow think that Greece is unlikely to put barriers up to British tourists and will follow the lead of the Portuguese government in announcing measures to make it as easy as possible for tourists to visit. It would be somewhat ironic if the British needed permission(ie a visa) but the Italians and Germans could enter freely!!!!!

Betsy

by Betsy » 03 Feb 2019, 18:39

Not everyone in the U.K. voted for Brexit bearbommi. - We certainly didn’t.....along with another 48% of the people who voted in the referendum . I am fed up hearing Teresa May saying the British Public voted for Brexit. Please don’t think her comments are representative of all U.K. voters!

rambler

by rambler » 03 Feb 2019, 22:26

Thanx Erno for the info about my question it looks like I won't need a visa for my Andros & Tinos visit & my other walking hol in Sfakia in September. I certainly did not vote for Brexit & nearly all my friends did not either, in fact I know very few people who did.
The county I live in Ceredigion actually voted to remain. The British people were not given enough real information by those 'In Power" of what leaving the EU would entail.
Dave

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 03 Feb 2019, 22:48

Hello Dave,

EU agrees visa-free travel for UK citizens even after no-deal Brexit, but it has to pass EU parliament first. UK parliament did not yet return the favour for EU passengers coming to the UK. That would be a deal breaker.

Another problem is that in case of a no-deal Brexit the UK would loose their landing rights at EU airports. Currently that is the bigger issue.

I hope, in the short time that is left, it is all working out for the best for the people, all people, UK and EU.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

agonigrami

by agonigrami » 04 Feb 2019, 09:47

rambler wrote:Does anyone know if UK citizens will need a visa to visit Greece if there is a 'No Deal' Brexit?????????????????????????
I know that if a UK passport has less than 6 months validity at the start of a trip or if it will be older than 9 years 6 months at the end of a trip then a new passport would be needed before leaving the UK.
Dave

Hi Dave,

I think you can find this link useful:

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport

Greetings,
Alf