The Villa Ariadne, Dilys Powell Books about our favourite island of Crete. Guide books, novels, articles, travelogues, magazines, eBooks etc. Share your Crete book tips.

Nick

The Villa Ariadne, Dilys Powell

by Nick » 24 Jan 2019, 13:33

Firstly, can I say 'Hello, Again'! I've been away from the forum for some time and my last trip to Crete was 2013.

I've not seen mention of the Villa Ariadne elsewhere, but I can thoroughly recommend it. Although it focuses on the background to the development of Knossos from the days of Sir Arthur Evans through to the postwar period, it covers much more and in a very readable style. Dilys Powell knew Evans and his successor, John Pendlebury, who was killed during the Battle of Crete and is buried at Souda Bay. Villa Ariadne was taken over as the German headquarters during the war and it was here that General Kreipe was based. The book recounts the kidnapping through conversations with Micky Akoumianakis. Dilys Powell finishes by recounting visiting the island in 1971 when she was able to locate Micky's father's grave. Manolis Akoumianakis was the foreman at Knossos during Evans' time and died during the Battle of Crete, having taken up arms in the belief that Micky had been killed by the Germans.

For me. the book provides a taste of what life was like on Crete was like before mass tourism.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: The Villa Ariadne, Dilys Powell

by Erno » 24 Jan 2019, 13:58

Welcome back, Nick!
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com