Accidental portrait Post your favourite photo or video of Crete, show your Cretan holiday photos and video.

mike

Accidental portrait

by mike » 11 Apr 2016, 10:26

I was sorting through my photos, trashing the ones that were duplicates, or weren't interesting on second look, or which didn't work for one reason or another.

For example, trying to take a close-up photo of flowers on a windy day means that you end up with a blurry image/poor composition half the time. As with the following:

portrait-01.JPG

But something that I hadn't even noticed when taking the photo now caught my attention. Here is a cropped view of the interesting bit:

portrait-02.JPG

A camouflaged spider. I didn't know such things existed. A quick web search revealed that it is called a crab spider:

http://www.nhmc.uoc.gr/en/museum/photo- ... mage.49009

Apparently, they have different colors, depending on their favourite flower for their hunting. Googling will give you a lot more photos. It isn't clear to me, though, that they are true chameleons (changing color from flower to flower) or whether they are born with one color only, fitting only a specific flower/color.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Accidental portrait

by Erno » 11 Apr 2016, 10:39

Interesting! You need a very close look to see this spider.

Thomisus onustus, crab spider

In males the basic colour of the prosoma [the head and the thorax fused together] varies from yellow brown to dark brown, the opisthosoma [abdomen] may be yellow and green or brown. Also females are very variable in colour, their basic colour can be white, yellow or pink.

As a matter of fact these crab-spiders hide themselves adapting the colour of their body to the colour of the flowers on which they are waiting for preys, a behaviour that conceals them from predators and from the pollinating preys.

All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Jean

by Jean » 11 Apr 2016, 11:21

That is so interesting, and the colour is amazing for a spider! I'll look more closely at the flowers here from now on.

rick

by rick » 12 Apr 2016, 08:52

Also interesting is that there is a spider crab see Wikipedia