Walking to Domata Beach Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

SveinB

Walking to Domata Beach

by SveinB » 08 Mar 2018, 10:59

Hello
We are two couples planning to walk from Agia Roumeli to Domata Beach in middle of May this year.
I am a little bit confused whether this is a dagerous walk or not.
On internet you can find some people write that this is a dagerous walk and should only be done with a guide.
I was thinking that the most dangerous walk was from Domata beach to Tripiti.
Can someone tell me more about this.

Best regards
Svein

langsten

Re: Walking to Domata Beach

by langsten » 08 Mar 2018, 14:02

Svein.

The walk itself is not particularly dangerous. There are some places where the path passes close to a cliff face and such. But those aren't really dangerous places. The path isn't that close to the cliff face, and it's a decent path at that point.

The danger is that is the path is not frequently traveled and there are places where it is not clearly marked. So: 1) you're not likely to run into people who can give you advice; and 2) you can get off the path into places that might be dangerous.

I have done the walk from Aghia Roumeli to Domata by myself a couple of times. It's a beautiful walk. And it's unlikely that anyone will bother you at Domata. You just need to be careful that you are on the path. If you get off the path, go back to where you're sure you're on the path again. And figure out the correct way forward.

A few years ago, a friend started out with me, but turned back after a couple of hours. Shortly after turning back, she got off the path, and got seriously lost. Finally, late in the afternoon she found herself near the higher of the two forts behind Roumeli and came down the path from there. Fortunately she was familiar with the general area and recognized where she was when she was in the area of the fort.

In sum, you don't need a guide if you're careful. And if you have a general familiarity with the area. As with most places in Sfakia, it's easy to know the general direction of things, and your location is constrained by defined geographical features - gorges, the mountains, the sea. But you do have to know where the paths are to get down from the high plateaus into the gorges and back to the communities.

Ray.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 08 Mar 2018, 14:14

Here is a video of the walk (comments in French), so you can have an impression of what to expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWKqpdvvD0
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

jimb

by jimb » 08 Mar 2018, 17:45

Svein
Like Ray, I too have done this walk several times and have lost the path in places. I did not seem to have too much trouble heading downhill to the beach with my destination in sight. On the return leg heading back to Agia Roumeli heading uphill from the beach is where I found it difficult to spot the little piles of stone which marked the path. It is a nice beach but there is no water to be had anywhere and there is little shade apart from a cave or under some boulders at the left hand edge( Agia Roumeli) of the beach. It is a long way in and out in a day. What about hiring a boatman who will collect you off the beach at the end of the day and save you the hike out. If the sea is rough however this might not be possible. Worth a try.
Jim

Rheinländer

by Rheinländer » 08 Mar 2018, 23:36

Like Ray and Jim said: It's worth going that path (and indeed it is a path - waymarked a few years ago)! When you ascend its challenging because its steap and exhausting. Going down you might have some troubles if you suffer from vertigo - but nothing seriously dangerous if (!!!!) you carry enough water!!! So my advise is: Start early in the morning to avoid the sun when you ascend behind Roumeli and take 4l of Water with you to be fresh when you go back. Have a nice day at Domata - its a wonderful place!
Dennis

SveinB

by SveinB » 09 Mar 2018, 11:10

Thank you all for good information.
We really look forward to do this walk. We plan to find a boatman that can take us back from Doamta beach to Agia Roumeli.
We also plan to have a boatman bring us to Tripiti and then walk to Sougia.

Svein