Walk Imbros-Kali Lakkoi-Skarfidakia-Mouri-Anopoli Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Lennert

Walk Imbros-Kali Lakkoi-Skarfidakia-Mouri-Anopoli

by Lennert » 02 Jun 2017, 17:58

In the beginning of May we had the most wonderful walk going from Imbros to Anopoli. We took the early morningbus 6:30 from Anopoli to Imbros where the walk started around 7:45. We arrived Kali Lakkoi at 11 pm and after a short break we went up the ravine and continued the path to Skarfidakia, further on to Mouri, down and up the Iligas gorge through Timios Stavros. Finally we walked the old kalderimi from Thesparta to Anopoli, a very stony but most special and beautiful ending of our walk.

Below a link to photos from the walk (the file size were to big to attach here) I have made a few comments to some of the pictures and you are most welcome to get further information if wanted.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0E532ODWBVqLe

Best regards Lennert

Jean

Re: Walk Imbros-Kali Lakkoi-Skarfidakia-Mouri-Anopoli

by Jean » 02 Jun 2017, 20:36

Thank you so much for the description of your walk and your wonderful photos.

A few questions:

- Is there any section of a footpath going up from Imbros to Trikoukia, or did you have to walk on the shepherd’s road the whole way?

- Did you have any trouble staying on the footpath up the ravine once you left Kali Lakkoi? We had difficulty finding that part of the path in April as there were no markings until much further on.

- How long were you walking in total? The path from Skarfidakia to Mouri seems very long, also from Timios Stavros to Anopoli – and with very little shade on those sections.

Thanks again for sharing your walk with us.

jan

by jan » 03 Jun 2017, 14:49

Thank you also from us.

Your description and photos are very timely as we intend to do this walk in about 10 days time, starting from Askifou (with a 'cheating' truck transfer to Trikoukia). I've tracked your photos on the map and noted your times - not sure we'll be matching them as we'll have full packs.

A question please. Is it easy to spot the place at which the kalderimi leaves the road at Thesparta? Last year we walked Anopolis - Gonia -Timios Stavros, down the gorge some distance then back to Anopolis on the shepherds' road. I looked on the outbound route for the Thesparta path but didn't see it.

Thanks again - I hope we have the weather you did!

Lennert

by Lennert » 04 Jun 2017, 13:28

Jean and Jan
Planning the walk we considered going the mapped track Imbros - Psilli Papoura - Trikoukia. As we had a long and unknown walk i head of us, we preferred to go the dirtroad. Maybe next year we will go that track and then make the walk a little easyer and the end.

Going up from Kali Lakkoi we followed the buttom of the ravine the first part and there were no problems reaching the top. As I remember there was no marking the way up. At the top we were a little confused and after looking around we had a look at the compass and the Anavasi map and then it was clear to us that we had to go west and DOWN to the buttom of the gorge. Half way down we found the first red dots and at the buttom, where the path (stonebuild) starts going up, it was clearly marked at a big stone. Maybe Jean this is the place where you had problems finding the path. However from here no problems to Skarfidakia. I always carry map and compass and it is always helpful, when I am not able to read the track in the terrain and when I loose the sense of navigation. I think the map is able to create a "picture" to compare with the surroundings.

Times: Imbros 7:45 Trikoukia 9:30 Kali Lakkoi 10:20 Skarfidakia 12:10 Mouri 12.50 Timios Stavros 13:40
Thesparta 15:00 Anopoli 17:00

We had short breaks: Kail Lakkoi 15 min Timios Stavros 25 min. We split up at Thesparta as I wanted to go the old track and my son continued the dirtroad to Anopoli. 1 hour for him and 2 hours for me going the old track. As you mentioned Jean, the last part of the walk was a little hot but no problems. Halfway a little tree with shadow and a beautiful view..........

Jan. You can join the path several places at Thesparta. I will return to you later. I have problems attaching files to this message.........

Best regards Lennert

Lennert

by Lennert » 04 Jun 2017, 15:16

Hi Jan

Further information Thesparta - Anopoli (if I succeed)

IMG_0077.JPG

Best regards

Jean

by Jean » 04 Jun 2017, 17:35

Thank you so much for the detailed description and map - it will help next time.

Our only problem this April was finding the path out of Kali Lakkoi - we didn't know whether to stay in the ravine, or go up on the left or right side of it (we went on the left). At the top, as you say, it is a bit confusing, but we did eventually find the red dots leading downward, and then to the old kaldirimi.

Thanks again for the information.

jan

by jan » 05 Jun 2017, 09:06

And thank you again from us too.

We're really looking forward to the walk and as long as we make reasonable progress on the early sections, with the help of your map we'll certainly try the Thesparta kalderimi/path down to Anopolis.

Very best wishes

Jan

jan

by jan » 22 Jun 2017, 16:35

Just back from Sfakia and further west.

We did the walk, but for a number of reasons completed it in two stretches.

Day one, with full packs, from Niato to Trikoukia and on to Kali Lakki without problems. The path up the gully wasn't, as Jean found, immediately obvious and quite overgrown in places but we forced a way up and met the dots/cairns near the top. That first section could do with marking, if only at the point where the path leaves the shepherds' road, which doesn't seem to be quite where the Anavasi map indicates.

Lennert's reminder about walking west at the top was very helpful though we still managed to get a bit lost at first. During this period I stood on one of those 'rocks which look stable but aren't' and the next second found myself flat on the ground with my rucksack pinning me down. Amazingly I don't have a scratch or bruise to show for it but I did feel a bit shaken up as you can imagine. Anyway, we carried on after a short break and reached Scarfidakia without any problems.

Onwards to Mouri where our real troubles began. We failed dismally to find the route into the gorge and having seen it from Timios Stavros last year were disinclined to take any risks, so with reluctance we retraced our steps and started the long road tramp down to Anopolis. Just before reaching Thesparta we managed to flag down a 4x4 driven by two charming Scots (returning from Pachnes) who willingly gave us a lift down to the village and saved us what would have been a rather footsore hour.

So the following day we walked back up the road to Thesparta to complete the route 'properly'. We found the footpath by leaving the road at Thesparta cistern and followed it without difficulty back down to Anopolis in, as Lennert suggested, 2 hours.

Conclusion - a lovely start and middle but potentially a tedious long tramp at the end if for whatever reason you choose to use the road all the way from Scarfidakia.

Jan

PS We'd overnighted at the Panorama Taverna and Rooms at Kares-Askifou. Highly recommended to anyone who fancies walking in that area - very well appointed rooms with a stunning view south across the plateau, good food and a charming family.