Pictures of our recent and less recent hikes on Lefka Ori Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

agonigrami

Pictures of our recent and less recent hikes on Lefka Ori

by agonigrami » 29 Nov 2015, 21:05

Hello everybody, as keen hikers and Crete enthusiasts my wife and I have spent our summer vacations in the past few years walking extensively in the Lefka Ori region. I thought to contribute to the new forum with a selection of photos which I have just uploaded up here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/agonigrami

I hope it helps to fight the dark side of the winter, especially for the members (like me) who live in the North.

Alf & Monica

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Pictures of our recent and less recent hikes on Lefka Ori

by Erno » 29 Nov 2015, 23:42

Hello Alf & Monica,

Thank you VERY much for your contribution to the new forum (tu) .

So far I have only seen half of your photos, but I can easily say that they are spectacular, unique, and very impressive, and beautiful! They cover many parts of Sfakia and Crete that most of us have not (yet) seen.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Jean

by Jean » 30 Nov 2015, 00:03

Thank you so much for posting these fantastic photos of your amazing hikes. How wonderful to see what the scenery is like in these areas of the Lefka Ori that many of us don't venture into, and very useful that you included maps of your routes. It's also interesting how much snow you encountered this year compared to the previous year. You've inspired me to attempt some longer walks in the high mountains.

agonigrami

by agonigrami » 30 Nov 2015, 16:29

Thank you Erno and Jean.

Jean, we usually visit Crete in May and yes this year we had the impression that there was more snow than in 2014. From the Ornio ridge we saw huge snowfields on the north side that were 7-8 meters thick, probably more in some points. But the most haunting place in Lefka Ori we have been so far is the Pavlias surrondings. You might think you are the first to set foot in those desolate lands but when you look around you can always spot some goat above you peeking over some rock. You realise they own the place and we are just guests.

rambler

by rambler » 04 Dec 2015, 20:30

Yes, great pics of many of the lesser known routes. Out of interest how long did it take on the Xyloscala ,Volakias Alfa Romeo route. Were there any awkward bits after Volakias & how was the route finding.?
Dave

agonigrami

by agonigrami » 08 Dec 2015, 22:07

Hi Dave,

We walked the Volakias route to Agia Roumeli in about 13 hours, starting from Xyloscalo at 6am and arriving at AR at 7pm. Optimistically I thought we would get to AR in time for the last ferry to Sougia, where we had the studio (we had driven to Xyloscalo and left the car there in the morning), but weather forecast was wrong that day and there were a few showers before and during the Psiristra crossing which slowed us down. There are a couple of scrambling sections, the first one when you traverse the large gully between the two Volakias summits (pics 12 to 15 in my album) and the second one is at the end of the Psiristra section when you have to descend a steep slope and reach a saddle (pic 27).

On Simon-78's website, http://www.levka-ori.com/, you will find other photos and a description of the route plus a GPS track. I take this chance to thank Simon once more for the ideas and the resources he and other contributors share there.

Cheers,
Alf & Monica