Two night trip to Sfakia last week of April. Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

sharkeyderry

Two night trip to Sfakia last week of April.

by sharkeyderry » 06 May 2016, 14:34

First time to Crete. Stayed overnight in Chania before getting bus to Imbros and walking the gorge. Stayed at Samaria Hotel, Chora Sfakion overnight, then walked to Loutro via Sweetwater Beach - a bit hairy at times for novice hiker, but thrilling and beautiful. Strayed overnight Sifis Hotel. Walked to and from Old Phoenix. Taxi boat back to Chora Sfakion as ferry not running due to breeze. Bus back to Chania. Impressions: heartbroken to have to leave....most beautiful place I have ever been. Rugged beautiful coast, fantastic walks, brilliant a
IMG_3669.JPG
nd cheap accommodation. Incredible walks, aroma of wild thyme, crystal clear water, beautiful weather. Longing to go back.
Attachments
IMG_3882.JPG
FullSizeRender-3 copy.jpg
FullSizeRender-6.jpg
IMG_4024.JPG

robo

Re: Two night trip to Sfakia last week of April.

by robo » 06 May 2016, 15:17

Ah yes, bitten first time :)
There's lots more to see, we've been going to the west end of Crete for 19 years now and still have a long list of places we've never been and want to see.

robo

sharkeyderry

by sharkeyderry » 07 May 2016, 08:34

Yes, totally smitten by Sfakia. I went as solo rambler. Though I'll never see 60 again, I found the walk down the Imbros gorge relatively easy and mesmerising - the smells and bells. But had to stop now and again to take in view as I was concentrating so much about being careful where I walked. Ended up in a taverna on the main road where I German couple kindly offered me a lift into Chora Sfakion. Loved Chora and the adjoining beach, lovely food, friendly staff and hospitality.
The walk to Loutro the next day was mind-blowing, even though I had to take a deep breath on parts of the path which hug the top of the cliffs. Sweet water Beach was deserted and all the more lovely for that. But it was with child-like excitement that I got my first glimpse of stunning Loutro along the coastal path fringed with wild flowers and herbs. An off-season Loutro met all expectations. Peace and quiet and like a movie set. Like Greece I remembered from the early 1970s, but with all mod cons. Managed to fit it a circular walk to the Old Phoenix to drink in the views - and a cold beer. Can't wait to return to try some of the other villages along this part of the coast and the other inviting gorges. Now a total convert to Sfakia!

robo

by robo » 07 May 2016, 11:29

Here it is at the other end of the year - last October. I too won't be seeing 60 again :) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15

robo

sharkeyderry

by sharkeyderry » 07 May 2016, 17:07

Top marks for your pics....you have a good eye for different kind of shot.