Gorge advice Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

sharkeyderry

Gorge advice

by sharkeyderry » 19 Mar 2016, 21:39

Hi, Any advice welcome. I will be in Crete for four days in the last week of April and plan to walk the Imbros gorge as I understand that the Samaria gorge is unlikely to open until at least May 1. I plan to stay overnight in Chora Sfakion after the Imbros walk before moving on to Loutro. I was wondering if I was to take a boat to Agia Roumeli, would it be possible for me to walk at least Part of the 'lazy' way into the Samaria gorge even though it will not be officially open. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Michael

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Gorge advice

by Erno » 19 Mar 2016, 22:54

Hi Michael,

Maybe you will be able to physically enter the Samaria gorge, but as long as it is not officially opened, entrance is prohibited. And usually that is for a good reason.

The gorge will be unsafe, maybe due to a high water level or damage to the path. It all depends on the actual weather at that time, and the damage to the gorge from the past winter period.

See this message on the old forum about last year: http://www.sfakia-crete-forum.com/read.php?3,2413

If there is little damage to the gorge, specially the entrance from down, from Agia Roumeli, might open before the 1st of May, as it did in 2014:

The Forest Directorate of Chania announced the opening of the National Park of Samaria from the south entrance (Agia Roumeli) for the first two kilometers, on Saturday 12 April 2014, and throughout the full length of the central path (Xiloskalo - Agia Roumeli ) from Monday 21 April, 2014, after a decision by the Secretary General of the Decentralized Administration of Crete.

Keep an eye on this forum, as I will post any news about the opening of the gorge here.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

sharkeyderry

Re: Gorge advice

by sharkeyderry » 20 Mar 2016, 07:55

Thanks so much for your really useful information. And i will keep an eye out here for any updates. Much appreciated.
Michael