Hiking Azogirés - Anidri - Anidri Gorge - Giialiskari Beach - Paleochóra in December 2021 Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

kokkinos vrachos

Hiking Azogirés - Anidri - Anidri Gorge - Giialiskari Beach - Paleochóra in December 2021

by kokkinos vrachos » 05 Jan 2022, 08:18

Kalimera, on December 22nd, I have taken the hike Azogirés - Anidri - Anidri Gorge - Gialiskari Beach - Paleochóra.

Already went the hike in October 2013, but the hike from Azogirés to Anidri did not remember so well.

The small village of Azogirés (15-20 inhabitants), 9 km from Paleochóra, is a quiet village, away from every bustle. There is a Kafenio and the Hotel Alfa, both of which belong together. Surrounded is azogirés of olive trees and mountain chains.

In and around Azogirés there is a lot to discover, the waterfalls, cave of the 99 holy fathers, Spaniakos Koules / Ottoman fortress and the old connection path to Anidri.

At the monastery Ekklisia Agii Pateres, the hike begins on the old connection path to Anidri. The way is marked throughout. Before I have thought of the waterfalls extensively.

First, it goes through the olive groves, where now everywhere networks are designed for the olive harvests in December. Under a net, a bird had lost himself, which I then freed.

So after 15 minutes comes an abandoned village from the Ottoman period. Here are a few ruins. A nice break I put here.

Then you slowly leaves the olive trees and the way goes through rocky terrain, on a slope. Low bottom right lies the valley and the river and the road to Azogirés. There were several villages in the valley, but nothing can be seen. If you look back, you have a nice view of Azogirés.

Then there is an old abandoned house and an Aloni (old Place to edit cereals).

After the rocky terrain comes a green meadow with very old olive trees, which traverses.

Then on the right side is a bursting towards archery. Shortly thereafter, the first houses come.

Then you go through the "new building" of Anidri. Has a little bit of a noble Athenian suburb here. After a few minutes you are then in the village of Anidri. There is a good tavern in the former school here. The tavern has only been in summer.

The village of Anidri was founded by two brothers from Chóra Sfakíon, which are fled in front of the blood feud (vendetta).

To the right of the tavern, the small church of Agios Georgios, with ancient frescoes, the Cretan painter Johannes Pagomeneos from the 14th century.

https://www.cretanbeaches.com/en/religi ... -at-anidri

Below the church, the path starts by the Anidri Gorge to Sandy Beach / Gialiskari Beach. It takes 50 minutes to the beach.

Anidri Gorge: https://www.cretanbeaches.com/en/gorges ... ydri-gorge

The migration of Azogirés to Anidri and the hike of Anidri by the Anidri Gorge to Sandy Beach / Gialiskari Beach is also described in every Crete hiking guide.

Anidri: https://www.angelfire.com/super2/greece/anidri.html

Kalí Chroniá, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

kiki

Re: Hiking Azogirés - Anidri - Anidri Gorge - Giialiskari Beach - Paleochóra in December 2021

by kiki » 07 Jan 2022, 13:19

Here the same, Azogires does not belong to Sfakia .

Why not open a new thread ?

kokkinos vrachos

Re: Hiking Azogirés - Anidri - Anidri Gorge - Giialiskari Beach - Paleochóra in December 2021

by kokkinos vrachos » 07 Jan 2022, 19:52

It's the hiking thread and Azogires and Anidri is just a short hop from the Sfakia ....

So relax ...
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis