Mouri - Kavros- Georgitsi / Chora Sfakion (May 2019) Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

kokkinos vrachos

Mouri - Kavros- Georgitsi / Chora Sfakion (May 2019)

by kokkinos vrachos » 07 Nov 2020, 13:16

Kalimera, I hiked from Mouri via Kavros to the old district Georgitsi / Chora Sfakion. The exact starting point just before the church of Ag. Georgios is unclear to me. I only saw one phone line above the street, not one going south. That's why I'm just from the Church of Ag. Georgios high up in the forest and then kept left there. Then after a while I discovered a telephone pole. Orientation in the forest is then easy, always follow the telephone poles. But there is no way. You just follow the masts on impassable (stony) ground. I guess there is another cistern halfway in the forest. At some point the forest is over and the last telephone pole is on the ground. The next telephone pole cannot be seen. Here you have to keep to the right and go down to the large stable on the gravel road. From the stable you can see the telephone poles again and follow the poles to the abandoned district of Georgitsi / Chora Sfakion.

The hike from the church of Ag. Georgios to Georgitsi / Chora Sfakion was not fun for me, because there is no "way" the whole time and the "way" is difficult to walk. From the church of Ag. Georgios to Georgitsi / Chora Sfakion took me 2.5 hours.

I was very impressed by the village of Kavros, especially the size of the village. In the second house, a shepherd invited me to drink wine. Then had to drink Kokkino Krasi with the shepherd (he already had one in his tea) at 11.00. There was also a shepherd in another house. I spent almost 2 hours in Kavros, browsing and taking photos. For most, it's probably just a few petty old walls of ruins. For me the walls and ruins have history. I love the uninhabited villages. I love the ruined houses. I would like to know more about the history of Kavros.

Ta Leme, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis