Aradena to Agia Roumeli Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Spinx

Aradena to Agia Roumeli

by Spinx » 14 Oct 2019, 18:49

Today we caught the 9am bus from Sfakia to Aradena. We then walked towards Agios Ioannis turning off at the footpath to the Sellouda. What a breathtaking view and dramatic climb down to Agios Pavlos where we spent a lovely couple of hours sunbathing and swimming before completing our walk to Agia Roumeli. We enjoyed a few cool beers before boarding the Daskalogiannis to return to Sfakia. Great day out.

Mihalis

Re: Aradena to Agia Roumeli

by Mihalis » 29 Jan 2020, 21:34

Hello everyone, I am coming to Sfakia his summer (all August) and I intend on doing this walk from Agios Ioannis down to Sellouda, Agios Pavlos, and finally Agia Roumeli. Are there any organized groups or services to do this hike? Physically I have no issue, I am just concerned about orientation and direction. I like to hike with at least one person just in case. Please let me know, thank you.

Jean

by Jean » 30 Jan 2020, 03:20

The path is well marked, so you shouldn't be concerned about orientation. But it will be a very hot walk in August, since there is little shade on the way to Selouda, and it can be especially hot along the raised beach on the coast, so bring lots of water and do stop to swim so you can cool down.

jan

by jan » 30 Jan 2020, 10:26

I'd suggest asking around at Ag Ioannis for a potential companion. Even though I've done this walk both up and down a number of times (often without seeing another soul away from the coast path) I'd be wary about walking alone - as Jean suggests, there probably won't be many other walkers around at such a hot time of year and it's so easy to slip or stumble on the uneven ground.

Mihalis

by Mihalis » 11 Mar 2020, 20:39

I got in contact with a hiking tour guide known in the area, Paraskevi is her name. Seems like she knows all these trails. I'm not worried about my physical ability, more my horrible sense of direction.

tours

by tours » 12 Mar 2020, 15:09

Hi Mihalis, you really don't need a guide for this walk! Jean is right. You should only care about the heat in August. The trail itself is well marked and easy to find.