Kakos Poros Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Frank

Kakos Poros

by Frank » 01 Feb 2016, 07:01

[edit: split off from: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=120]

I have noticed that on the Anavasi map there is just one trail to this viewing point from Agios Ioannis, so you'd have to go the same way back as where you came from.
On Open street map there is a connecting path and something of a dirt road going to this trail, allowing to make sort of a triangular walk from Agios Ioannis. I can't make these paths out on the satellite images, do they actually exist?
I've marked them with red arrows here.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Kakos Poros

by Erno » 01 Feb 2016, 09:27

If there is a circular walk possible I don't know, but Bettina anyway recommends walking back the same route as you came, because you will see many different things looking the other way:

https://bettinaki.wordpress.com/tag/kakos-poros/

[In German, and/ but with many photos]
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Jean

by Jean » 01 Feb 2016, 09:39

We didn't notice any side paths when we walked to Kakos Poros. I seriously doubt if the southern white path marked on your second map exists - I just remember a cliff edge in that position. The red dotted path half-way along is more plausible and might be worth looking for. There is an official map posted at the start of the walk, and neither of the other paths is marked on it.

Michael

by Michael » 01 Feb 2016, 12:42

I've been there many times and also doubt these paths really exist.
Surely you could walk there but you'll have to find your way around this way-less area. :-(
The area is pretty even so there should be not much climbing.
I'd prefer to go more south along the cliffs because one could enjoy the great views down.
Just my 2 cents!
Michael
Many people die at 25 and aren't buried until they are 75.
(Benjamin Franklin)

langsten

by langsten » 02 Feb 2016, 10:24

Jean and Michael

and anyone else who has done this walk.

Please can you tell me more about the path from Agios Ioannis to Kakos Poros.

For example: how much does it rise and fall? I understand from Bettina's post that it is mostly uphill on the return. Is that correct?

Is it a rough path - like the bits of the path from Agios Ioannis to Saloudha that are broken kalderimi? Or is it smoother, more like the path through the pine forest above Agios Paulos (coming from Marmara, before you hit the sandy bits)?

Bettina's post suggests that it takes about an hour - walking not too fast. Is that your experience as well?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Ray.

denisc

by denisc » 02 Feb 2016, 10:37

Hi Ray,
It is a very gentle walk along an old farm trail. It is less strenuous - and half the distance - than the walk through the forest to the Kormokopos cave.
The path is well made and has been repaired. It runs alongside an old water channel that served this area when it was under cultivation and there is a large cistern about half way to the cliff face.
The walk takes about 30-45 minutes each way, depending on stops. It starts near the Alonia hostel/rooms and is clearly signposted on a farm gate.
If you are interested in old settlements/ houses , there is much to explore.
Best wishes,
Denis.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 02 Feb 2016, 11:00

denisc wrote:It runs alongside an old water channel that served this area when it was under cultivation and there is a large cistern about half way to the cliff face.

That is probably why it got its name for: "Kakos Poros" means something like 'bad resouce', probably indicating that the area did not have natural water resources, hence the channel.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Michael

by Michael » 02 Feb 2016, 12:11

langsten wrote:how much does it rise and fall? I understand from Bettina's post that it is mostly uphill on the return. Is that correct?

Hi Ray,
the height difference is 190m over a distance of 1300m.
All in all easy walking, only one short steeper section just before Kakos Poros.
langsten wrote:Is it a rough path - like the bits of the path from Agios Ioannis to Saloudha that are broken kalderimi? Or is it smoother, more like the path through the pine forest above Agios Paulos (coming from Marmara, before you hit the sandy bits)?

IMHO the latter. The path is clearly marked in Red/Yellow and free of gravel.
langsten wrote:Bettina's post suggests that it takes about an hour - walking not too fast. Is that your experience as well?

It only takes an hour if you stop often to look around/take photos.
If alone I walk it in 30min. and even with inexperienced co-walkers it shouldn't take longer than 45min.
Best wishes
Michael
(Benjamin Franklin)

Frank

by Frank » 02 Feb 2016, 15:31

Michael wrote:
langsten wrote:how much does it rise and fall? I understand from Bettina's post that it is mostly uphill on the return. Is that correct?

If alone I walk it in 30min. and even with inexperienced co-walkers it shouldn't take longer than 45min.
So that's one way right? And 1 to 1,5 hrs for the round trip?

Michael

by Michael » 02 Feb 2016, 16:01

Frank wrote:
Michael wrote:

So that's one way right? And 1 to 1,5 hrs for the round trip?

Of course one-way. :mrgreen:
And take your time when resting at the "balcony".
I doubt you want to have only a quick glimpse and immediately return to Agios Ioannis. ;)
(Benjamin Franklin)