White Mountains / Pachnes Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Mihalis

White Mountains / Pachnes

by Mihalis » 01 Mar 2018, 22:30

I want to hike to the top of the summit this summer. Can someone explain to me the logistics? I have found a few websites with some information. I only want to make it a day trip, nothing overnight. Does that require someone drive me to the summit? What is the weather in late August?

mike

Re: White Mountains / Pachnes

by mike » 02 Mar 2018, 15:56

What information do you already have? If you want to do a day trip, do you have an idea regarding from where?

OK, there is no road to the summit. You arrange transport by road up to a point where the road ends, and the route to the summit is about 3 hours walk one way from there.

Arranging road transport is the tricky part. Taxis from Sfakia probably would not take you (road not good for their cars). A pickup truck would be required.

The easiest thing to do would be to stay at the following place in Anopoli.

anopolirooms.gr/en/

They arrange transport themselves, as standard part of what they offer. Otherwise you have to ask around and find a shepard who is willing to take you up. O Platanos Rooms to Let across the square might also take you up, but may be less predictable.

I've never been there in August. Rain as such is unlikely to be an issue. However, mountains do create their own weather and depending on wind direction, the peaks might be hidden in clouds, even when it is sunny blue skies everywhere else. It is impossible to predict this. You just have to go and see what the weather is like.

Mihalis

by Mihalis » 02 Mar 2018, 17:59

The only information I have is what I see on cretanbeaches.com - basically I understand the hike is not too difficult, but my issue is on how to get to the starting point of the walk. If I stay at the hotel in Anopolis is the ride to the starting point free? If not, what does it typically cost? I may stay in Anopolis since I also want to do a few other hikes in the area. Thanks for the great information.

mike

by mike » 02 Mar 2018, 20:18

You will have to contact Anopoli rooms and ask what they charge. I'd assume something, but probably less expensive than a freelancing shephard. They charge in the region of €50 (last time I checked).

jan

by jan » 04 Mar 2018, 17:32

mike wrote:You will have to contact Anopoli rooms and ask what they charge. I'd assume something, but probably less expensive than a freelancing shephard. They charge in the region of €50 (last time I checked).

I guess that was a while ago - the costs to them (petrol, vehicle depreciation - those shepherds' roads really take their toll) will have gone up and so will the charges. I can't remember what we last paid to the end of the shepherd's road beneath Roussies but it was more than 50euros.

Email them and ask, as Mike suggests.

The walk up isn't difficult but as with any high mountain walk you'd be wise to have companion(s) if you haven't been there before.

Ian

by Ian » 04 Mar 2018, 22:38

Hi Mihalis

If you stay at the Anopoli Taverna (wwwanopolirooms.gr) they will be able to organise a trip up to Pachnes where you share the cost with other walkers, so the cost will very reasonable. I have stayed there myself in 2017 & also used the transport to Pachnes when based in Sfakia. They will also be able to assist you with other walks from Anopoli.

Ian.

arnulf

by arnulf » 06 Mar 2018, 14:00

Hello!

I think the Anopoli Taverna charges 65 E total for the transport to the end of the road.

You will need about 2 1/4 h to reach the top and 1 1/2 for the return at normal walking speed. The path is uncomplcated and very visible.

Arnulf

Michael

by Michael » 06 Mar 2018, 15:25

Maybe it's obvious but...
The price (50 - 65 € depending on negotiations) is per taxi trip!
If you want to return by car half a day later you will have to pay twice.
Normally they don't wait at the end of the road for the hikers to return from Pachnes.
Best chance is to join a group (for driving up/down).
Just ask at the Anopoli Taverna some days before.
They also are able to tell you the weather conditions for the next few days.
Happy hiking

Michael
Many people die at 25 and aren't buried until they are 75.
(Benjamin Franklin)

Ludo

by Ludo » 09 Mar 2018, 19:54

Kalispera, hello!

We did the trip in 2015 with Anopoli rooms. We were 7 people and we paid 130€ going up, coming down.
Afterwords we had a very good meal in their taverna: wild goat, Greek salad, raki....very nice people,
very good service!!

greetings

Birgitta

by Birgitta » 18 Apr 2018, 13:19

I have THE BEST RECOMMENDATION to Anopoli Rooms and Taverna!!!!!
They have writw down 10 trips round Anopoli in a big "book". The people are soooo nice!
Birgitta from Sweden.