Fishing boat - Frango/Hora Sfakion. Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Chris-Scone

Fishing boat - Frango/Hora Sfakion.

by Chris-Scone » 20 Jul 2016, 15:08

Hello all,
Now that I cannot take my metal detector to Crete, does anyone know of a fishing boat in Frango or Hora Sfakia harbour, which would take 2 people for a fishing trip for day/half day. Perhaps an existing fisherman who would charge a fair price.

We arrive Frango on Sunday, staying at the wonderful Hotel Sofia in Iraklion the night before. Cannot come soon enough!!

Thanks,
Chris

UK government; Please give the Parthenon statues back, they are not yours!

sethuk

Re: Fishing boat - Frango/Hora Sfakion.

by sethuk » 20 Jul 2016, 17:51

If Elgin had your metal detector he might have rescued even more of the decaying Ancient Greek artefacts & buildings allowed to fall into total disrepair during the Turkish hegemony. The Marbles would probably not exist had it not been for the British Government purchasing them from Elgin in 1816. I suspect that Phidias would have approved.
You did get the Stone of Scone back with the promise that it would be returned for future English (British) Coronations.
Ho Hum!
LOL
Seth @--@

Chris-Scone

by Chris-Scone » 21 Jul 2016, 06:52

Hi Seth,
So you want the Parthenon statues to reside in London?
No doubt the Stone of Scone will end up in the clutches of the Manfields, who are again doing their best to make live difficult for the very same people who live here - touchy subject in Scone at the mo.

Anyhoo, I'll call by Frango harbour next week.
Chris

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 21 Jul 2016, 06:58

Hi Chris,

Here is some information from Chora Sfakion about fishing trips that can be arranged:

http://notosmare.com/index.php?ID=Game-Fishing

https://fishingsfakia.wordpress.com/

Have a good time!
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Igiveup

by Igiveup » 21 Jul 2016, 08:43

Beig frequently in the Aberdeen area the last time I visited Elgin I went into the local toy shop and bought some ot the glass marbles(Don't see what all the fuss is about) and took them with me to Crete but no one wanted them!
On a more serious note it should be pointed out that a lot of marble artefacts were were being burnt at the time to make mortar and wall paint and the preservation of these treasures was a positive act. I do however think it is a damning inditement of politicians that they are unable to work out a sensible compromise where the marbles move between the two countries and we all share in their beauty.
Personaly i would like to see them returned to Greece since living in the North of England it would cheaper for me to go and see them in Athens than in central London