Gavdos advice sought Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Noah

Gavdos advice sought

by Noah » 29 Jul 2022, 15:10

Hello, fellow Sfakia enthusiasts, from a family finally returning after pandemic hiatus - we have missed it so much.

We will be in Chora Sfakion for a few days mid-August and 2 - maybe 3 - of us want to visit Gavdos for 1 night. Due to luggage limitations we are considering renting some basic camping equipment (tent, mattress, sleeping bags). Any advice would be appreciated.

I have found the new "Enjoy Crete" business that operates out of Illingas beach next to Chora Sfakion, and they rent some equipment. Has anyone had any dealings with them please?
https://www.enjoy-crete.com/sea-kayak-rental/

Thanks.

kiki

Re: Gavdos advice sought

by kiki » 31 Jul 2022, 12:07

Hello Noah

No , I dont know this company .

My advice : for one night at Gavdos beaches you dont need tent and a sleeping bag . First of all , in August its very warm in the night time . Most of the people who sleep at the beach they only have a thin mattress and a scarf, using trees or bushes with their shadow under the sky. At the sandy Sarakiniko Beach and Ag. Ioannis Beach you can find a sleeping place, also in Lavrakas or Korfos .

Noah

by Noah » 01 Aug 2022, 07:21

Thank you very much kiki - very useful. I could eschew a tent, but one or more of my companions may be a little more effete, so alternatives may be sought.

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 01 Aug 2022, 14:45

Kalispera Noah, I don't know of any camping equipment (tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag) that you can borrow anywhere in Crete or Gavdos.

What is important when you sleep on the beach in Gavdos is a mosquito net to protect you from mosquitoes.

Something like that: https://www.globetrotter.de/care-plus-m ... 5637946554

You don't need a tent. A mosquito screen/net, a sleeping mat and a light summer sleeping bag are sufficient.

Kalo Taxidi, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Noah

by Noah » 04 Aug 2022, 17:31

Thank you kv; I'll work on that basis.