What happend to this forum? Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Robert

What happend to this forum?

by Robert » 29 May 2022, 20:20

I dd not visit the forum for a while, so maybe i missed some announcements or so. I always did visit here for the latest news for the region Sfakia, but now i see only a lot of 'diary" stories. No offence to the writers..but...well...its a pitty to see this change in what once was a great information and helping site.

Robert

sethuk

Re: What happend to this forum?

by sethuk » 30 May 2022, 12:59

Totally agree, Robert
Seems to me that Erno who used to manage the Forum and the Sfakia site has gone awol.
There have been no announcements of change.
Looks like we shall see this forum wither slowly into disuse.
Very sad but it comes to all things ....
Seth

jimb

by jimb » 30 May 2022, 16:28

Maybe the hikers and climbers who wish to explore the mountains and the wilder places just do not visit this site and ask the question, how do I.....or can I get down from there after climbing this. There is a wealth of knowledge in the older posts but you have to know its there to ask the question.
Sadly for some of us and me in particular we have aged a bit since we first posted on the forum and I won't be in the White Mountains anymore so there is no point in asking the questions.
Jim

sethuk

by sethuk » 30 May 2022, 17:10

It fell
And in falling
Sank too deep
To even name
The question.

langsten

by langsten » 31 May 2022, 07:23

I disagree.

If someone asks a question, it gets answered. Look at the recent thread in the books section.

And some of us, including me, rather like the "diary" stories. They tell me things I don't know. They show me pictures of places I haven't been. Certainly they show me a green Sfakia at a time of the year when I don't go.

I think Erno is doing an admirable job of keeping the Forum free of much of the garbage that shows up on other fora I have sometimes looked at, and often abandoned.

Perhaps the forum no longer serves the needs of some people who have used it in the past. That happens.

For me, I appreciate the forum, and watch it regularly. I hope it continues to provide us with information and "diary" stories.

Ray.

Dorthe

by Dorthe » 11 Jun 2022, 09:55

langsten wrote:I disagree.

If someone asks a question, it gets answered. Look at the recent thread in the books section.

And some of us, including me, rather like the "diary" stories. They tell me things I don't know. They show me pictures of places I haven't been. Certainly they show me a green Sfakia at a time of the year when I don't go.

I think Erno is doing an admirable job of keeping the Forum free of much of the garbage that shows up on other fora I have sometimes looked at, and often abandoned.

Perhaps the forum no longer serves the needs of some people who have used it in the past. That happens.

For me, I appreciate the forum, and watch it regularly. I hope it continues to provide us with information and "diary" stories.

Ray.

I feel I can keep in contact with Sfakia through these updates and descriptions of nature and events in Sfakia.
I can only come every 3 years, and I feel that I am in some kind of contact with the region this way.
Please keep posting.

Dorthe

mike

by mike » 01 Aug 2022, 07:45

Covid certainly played a large role, when travel was impossible -- or difficult at best. However, going back 5-10 years, there was a different mix of people who'd regularly come here. Different people, different interests. Perhaps a larger proportion, then, of people intellectually engaged in Crete as a subject matter, in addition to it being a holiday destination. For my own interests and activities, I certainly felt more connected back then. Now, less so. I drop by every once in a while to see what's going on, regarding covid issues for example. Transport and logistics.

I'm still as active as ever with my own archaeological and geological surveys, etc. Fitness has dropped off through inactivity (again, because of covid). Anyway, I've seen and walked just about everywhere I've wanted to. Now, it's either repeat of the more pleasant excursions (never get too much of that), or 'off-trail' survey explorations. I just feel less inclined to write up any posts on the matter.

Noah

by Noah » 01 Aug 2022, 10:05

I suppose the real answer to concerns about forum content is to provide more content oneself. I have been here or hereabouts for years - and visiting Crete for a decade - but not contributed because I feel I have only the humblest of information to offer. Must try harder.