Sfakia report, April 7-8th Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

jean h

Sfakia report, April 7-8th

by jean h » 08 Apr 2022, 10:14

Finally this morning we woke to blue skies and bright sunshine, after a week of Sahara dust clouds. The sea is rough, with waves splashing over the old harbour wall, and the temperature is cooler, but it’s wonderful to have clear weather again.

splash.JPG
Samaria, waves breaking.JPG

The Livikon/Samaria restaurant has opened today, also gyro cafe next to the car rentals.

Yesterday was a murky, warm day. We walked over the headlands from the new harbour to Amoudi beach along the goat tracks. The land is a sea of yellow - gorse, asphodel, small fumana peaking out of thorny shrubs, crepsis (looking like tiny dandelions), and patches of the even tinier yellow rayless chamomile.

On a ledge in the cliff across from Amoudi beach, a sheep had just given birth to a lamb, and we watched it struggle to stand on shaky legs. We crossed the beach (none of us felt tempted to swim) and continued to Agios Haralambos church tucked into the rocks; we couldn’t get inside because the door was swollen shut from the water that drips down through the overhanging rocks. The sun came out a bit, and we could see the next beach (Filaki) to the east.

Amoudi beach.JPG
Agios Haralambos cave church.JPG

On the path coming back above the beach, lots of tiny iris (Glandriris monophylla, only a few centimetres tall) had opened up - like their bigger cousins in Anopoli, they only open in the afternoon. We also found many lovely white Ornithogalum exscapum, blue pimpernel (Lysimachia monelli), orange pheasant eye (Adonis microcarpa), bright pink Silene colorata, and a few delicate Anemone hortensis.

Glandriris monophylla.JPG
Ornithogalum exscapum.JPG
blue pimpernel (Lysimachia monelli).JPG
Adonis microcarpa (pheasant eye), Silene colorata, and Crepsis.JPG
Anemone hortensis.JPG

I was surprised to see new tourist bungalow accommodation next to the main Vritomartis buildings, obviously from last year, but like so many other developments over the past two years, new to me.

bungalows by the Vritomartis.JPG

Yesterday evening the wind changed to north-westerly and cleared the air. The Lefka Ori restaurant opened and their outside tables were nearly full (including a Polish hiking group), even though we all had to wrap up warmly.

We enjoyed a star-filled night sky.

Col & Kay

Re: Sfakia report, April 7-8th

by Col & Kay » 08 Apr 2022, 17:17

We enjoyed our last night in Anopolis last night and it was quite cold as we watched the weather change and woke this morning to a much clearer atmosphere. We went down to Loutro yesterday and it was warm and feeling very close. Only the Daskogiannis hotel and the Kyma taverna were open serving food but there was plenty of activity with everyone making preparations for opening up. We were pleased to see and chat with Pavlos and also Tatyana before making our way back. A hiking group had some lunch next to us in Kyma and we saw them again later in the day back in Anopolis where they were staying at O Platanos

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 08 Apr 2022, 17:51

Hello Jean,
Thanks for your report and for the beautiful photoes of the flowers you saw on your latest walk. We heard yesterday that Sotiris from Samaria/Livikon has got a new job at Vritomatis with administration, after he has had the bar/cafe at Samaria/Livikon for the last few years. We will miss him.
The beautiful bush/flower mimosa I (Marie) have always liked a lot. In the old days when I was a child we always got them when we bought a bunch of flowers, but not any more since about 30 years back. We have seen them every spring here on the National Road, a lot if them but we have not been able to stop there.
Yesterday we saw them on the road up in Anopoli but had a car behind is so it was difficult to stop the car. So we turned back but could not found the bush again.
I would be sooo great full Jean, that if you would see them, please take a photo and put it on one of your reports.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew

jean h

by jean h » 10 Apr 2022, 12:43

Marie and Andrew wrote:Hello Jean,

The beautiful bush/flower mimosa I (Marie) have always liked a lot. We have seen them every spring here on the National Road, a lot if them but we have not been able to stop there. Yesterday we saw them on the road up in Anopoli but had a car behind is so it was difficult to stop the car. I would be sooo great full Jean, that if you would see them, please take a photo and put it on one of your reports.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew

And here is a photo of aMimosa (Acacia dealbata) taken today at Frangokastello for you.

Mimosa.JPG