Sfakia report, April 1st Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

jean h

Sfakia report, April 1st

by jean h » 01 Apr 2022, 05:43

Kalo mina from Sfakia!

We arrived late on Wednesday, so very happy to be back after not being able to come for the last two years! I can’t describe the feeling of being next to the harbour with our Sfakian friends again, looking out to sea and listening to the waves against the shore. More than a few tears were shed.

The internet was down all yesterday, so no webcam photos to show how hazy the sky looks – clouds of Sahara dust are hanging over most of Greece at the moment, so it is warm but not sunny. I did manage a 20 minute swim yesterday - the sea isn’t as cold as I expected after all the snow that fell in the mountains over the past months.

Sfakia in the haze.jpeg

above Vrissi beach.jpeg

Not many businesses are open yet, although rooms are operating, and there were about a dozen overnight tourists yesterday. The Delfini and Nikos are serving meals, and Despina’s, the Faros and Georgia’s cantina have drinks and snacks. The back supermarket is open until early afternoon, and the pharmacy is open on weekdays. Everyone else is busy painting and cleaning, getting ready to open in a week or so. No one really knows how much business to expect this season, with the cost of everything rising all over Europe.

It will be interesting to see if the ferry service starts today as scheduled.

We are overwhelmed at the moment with greeting everyone, catching up on village news, and observing small and large changes that have taken place in the village in our absence. Over the next 5 weeks I will try to send regular reports, but at the moment I’m just enjoying being here again.
Last edited by jean h on 01 Apr 2022, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

jean h

Re: Sfakia report, April 1st

by jean h » 01 Apr 2022, 16:47

There was no ferry boat today, maybe because the sea became rough, with the waves smacking against the coastline. It has been warm again, with lots of Sahara dust in the sky, making it hazy.

rough sea.JPG

A swallow-tail butterfly landed exhausted on our balcony this morning.

swallowtail butterfly.JPG

The village continues to be very busy with people painting and cleaning, and the bougainvillea at the Xenia got it's annual severe pruning today.

This afternoon, two bus loads of tourists arrived for refreshments after walking down the Imbros Gorge - a sign that the spring season is starting.

I walked up to the top part of the village (Tholos) to the church of the 12 Apostles - it was lovely to see that the the bell tower has finally been renovated. There are flowers along most of the small paths, and some other tourists told us that Anopolis is full of flowers. And last year the old street lights were changed for smaller, dimmer solar-powered lights - we hope they eventually do that throughout the village so we can see the stars more clearly.

12 Apostles church with renovated bell tower.JPG
flowers on a village path.JPG
solar street lights, bollards, Judas tree.JPG

The sun has set, and now the small number of tourists staying here will gravitate to Nikos and the Delfini.

Wolfgang

by Wolfgang » 01 Apr 2022, 22:43

Jean, many thanks for your very nice report(s) !
To read that and see the actual pictures helps much to overcome bad sfakianless times.

Birgitta

by Birgitta » 02 Apr 2022, 07:05

Thank you for the report. I am coming in the middle of april.
Birgitta

Dorthe

by Dorthe » 02 Apr 2022, 09:50

Hello, Jean and Peter.
Thank you very much for your update.
We are coming on the 19th and literally can not wait!
Will the tulips at Omalos still be in bloom then, do you think?
All the best from Henning and Dorthe, Denmark

jean h

by jean h » 02 Apr 2022, 19:53

Dorthe wrote:We are coming on the 19th and literally can not wait!

It has been a very cold winter here, with lots of snow, so the tulips may only be starting to bloom now – you might still be able to see them when you arrive. If I hear anything definite about the flowers on Omalos, I will let you know.

kiki

by kiki » 03 Apr 2022, 10:00

Thank you very much for your nice report ! I enjoy to read your next ones :-) .

Have a very good time in Sfakia .

By the way I have read the book of Peter again this winter, for the third time . I like it a lot.

Dorthe

by Dorthe » 03 Apr 2022, 11:43

jean h wrote:

It has been a very cold winter here, with lots of snow, so the tulips may only be starting to bloom now – you might still be able to see them when you arrive. If I hear anything definite about the flowers on Omalos, I will let you know.

Thank you very much.
In the meantime I'm rereading "In Sfakiá".
After 3 years it will be so great to come back. We will be staying at Lefka Ori for a few days.

jean h

by jean h » 05 Apr 2022, 06:01

Dorthe,

Our friend Wiltrud stopped at Gious Kampos (north of Spili) on her way here and saw lots of "Omalos" tulips (Tulipa bakeri / saxatilis) in bloom there, but the red ones special to Kampos are not open yet. There were also lots of iris, orchids, and anemone hortensii. Gious Kambos is at a lower elevation than Omalos.

jean h wrote:

Birgitta

by Birgitta » 05 Apr 2022, 14:04

Dorthe, I am also coming the 19 of april and stay 4 nights. I am coming from Agia Roumeli. And I also staying at Lefka Ori.
Birgitta from Umea, Sweden.