Tourist season, with Green Pass, nears Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

Tourist season, with Green Pass, nears

by Erno » 10 May 2021, 08:17

Tourist season, with Green Pass, nears - 10 May, 2021

beach2.jpg

Greece is in the final stages of its preparations to officially open the tourist season on Saturday, May 15.

Beaches run by private concessions opened on Saturday, a week earlier than originally planned, so the government can gauge the effect of the opening on crowds.

The government wants to integrate the so-called Green Pass possessed by visitors into the Passenger Locator Form (PFL) that prospective visitors fill 48 hours before arrival.

When filling the form, in addition to the airport they are departing from, their destination and duration of their stay, visitors will add the data from their Green Pass. That is, whether they have been vaccinated, fallen ill of the coronavirus at least 20 days before arrival and whether they have tested negatively in a PCR or antigen test. The Green Pass will go into effect from June 1 and Greek authorities want to streamline the pass inspection process and avoid congestion at airports or border crossings.

Steps will also be taken to ensure the validity of green passes.

Visitors from the following countries take part in the Green Pass program: France, Malta, Iceland, the Netherlands, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Croatia, Bulgaria, Greece, Slovenia, Germany, the Czech Republic, Romania, Cyprus, Spain, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Denmark, Hungary, Luxembourg, Finland, Belgium, Ireland, Slovakia, Lichtenstein and Norway. Apart from these countries, Greece will also accept visitors from China and Russia and those vaccinated with the Chinese and Russian vaccines, in addition to the four vaccines used in the country and the western world (AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna and Pfizer).

Successfully managing the Green Pass is just one of the government’s goals as the country reopens its doors to tourism. As officials told Kathimerini, it is important that any activity that opens is not shut down again; that new coronavirus cases be detected as soon as possible; that crowding is avoided; that vaccinations accelerate still further and that the most vulnerable groups achieve herd immunity; and, through vaccinations, ensure that the islands, where the bulk of the tourists are headed and where there is a dearth of hospitals and primary care, become safe places.

The government has set as its goal 4.5 million fully vaccinated individuals by the end of June, before the peak of the tourist season. The arrival of 1.2 million Johnson & Johnson vaccines will be decisive in speeding up the vaccination program, as they require only one jab.

Officials also are alert to the possibility that some countries of origin may impose several days of quarantine to residents returning from their holidays in Greece. This would be a huge blow to tourism, which accounts for around one-fifth of the country’s economy.

From: https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/11607 ... ass-nears/
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

mike

Re: Tourist season, with Green Pass, nears

by mike » 11 May 2021, 06:30

Meanwhile, here in The Netherlands I have been vaccinated and so far it has been impossible to get an official certification that I have been vaccinated. The front line staff (doctors, people at vaccine locations) don't have a clue. The policy seems to be that since you do not need an official proof of vaccine in The Netherlands for anything, therefore they are not issuing them. Some regional medical centers are refusing to register vaccines in the so-called 'yellow' vaccine book.

I usually fly to Chania from a local airport in Germany. The airport itself has a test center offering rapid antigen tests and PCR tests for people needing such things to get in and out of the country. Problem in the short-run is that the border is closed, so I can't get to the airport anyway without getting the necessary tests.

As of a few days ago, parts of Greece (north and south Aegean) are or will soon be open -- as orange regions but apparently quarantine upon return won't be necessary under certain conditions (eg, proof of vaccine, PCR test).

Well, I'm slightly pissed off (to put it mildly). €€€ spent on failed tracking apps and you can't even download an "official" document that you have been vaccinated, even though you can download the data (date, time, type of vaccine, batch number) ...

I can understand the logistics co-ordination problems in the abstract. I can also understand that gov't guidelines have to be general and not fine-tuned to all exceptions and special cases. For example, last autumn all of Greece was off-limits, mainly because of outbreaks in places like Mykonos and Attica. Crete, in fact, was fine (I posted something about it at the time), safer than The Netherlands.

As of now, the epidemic is being "carried" by the 10 to 40-50 age group (late teens to early 20's the highest, around 30% above national average). Surveys indicate that this group also has the least interest in getting vaccinated (again, around 30% don't want vaccine). But, this gets us out of the biology and into the sociology/psychology of pandemics ...

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 11 May 2021, 07:51

You're right Mike. The problem that I see is that we have never been down this road before. We don't have a map to guide us.
Let's hope common sense will apply and we'll see our beloved Crete as soon as possible in 2021.

tours

by tours » 12 May 2021, 16:01

mike wrote:Meanwhile, here in The Netherlands I have been vaccinated and so far it has been impossible to get an official certification that I have been vaccinated. The front line staff (doctors, people at vaccine locations) don't have a clue. The policy seems to be that since you do not need an official proof of vaccine in The Netherlands for anything, therefore they are not issuing them. Some regional medical centers are refusing to register vaccines in the so-called 'yellow' vaccine book.

I usually fly to Chania from a local airport in Germany. The airport itself has a test center offering rapid antigen tests and PCR tests for people needing such things to get in and out of the country. Problem in the short-run is that the border is closed, so I can't get to the airport anyway without getting the necessary tests.

As of a few days ago, parts of Greece (north and south Aegean) are or will soon be open -- as orange regions but apparently quarantine upon return won't be necessary under certain conditions (eg, proof of vaccine, PCR test).

Well, I'm slightly pissed off (to put it mildly). €€€ spent on failed tracking apps and you can't even download an "official" document that you have been vaccinated, even though you can download the data (date, time, type of vaccine, batch number) ...

I can understand the logistics co-ordination problems in the abstract. I can also understand that gov't guidelines have to be general and not fine-tuned to all exceptions and special cases. For example, last autumn all of Greece was off-limits, mainly because of outbreaks in places like Mykonos and Attica. Crete, in fact, was fine (I posted something about it at the time), safer than The Netherlands.

As of now, the epidemic is being "carried" by the 10 to 40-50 age group (late teens to early 20's the highest, around 30% above national average). Surveys indicate that this group also has the least interest in getting vaccinated (again, around 30% don't want vaccine). But, this gets us out of the biology and into the sociology/psychology of pandemics ...

Mike,
do you have any proof of vaccination? For example, an invoice or something similar?

mike

by mike » 12 May 2021, 19:57

tours: I have a vaccination card, in Dutch. I could also download my data from the Ministry of Public Health, also in Dutch. But neither are "official", whatever that means. I don't have an inside channel to the reasoning of the Dutch gov't etc. I personally believe in anticipation, having Plan B and C. Technically, if I could download data, then I could download the same data with an "official" tag. So, it is policy decision against something official, nothing technical. Point is, for me, if I or anyone has the official document, then we are free to use it whenever and wherever possible. This could have been done a couple of months ago.The gov't could at a later time give approval for international travel. People would be ready.

deadeggs: There will be a lot of room for examining the crisis management strategies currently in place. Most countries have been disorganized, slow off the mark, poor communication ... some countries much worse than others. There has also been too much politicizing of the entire pandemic.

We've been very lucky that the vaccines, rushed and poorly tested as they were, nonetheless have been effective, at least in the short run. For all we know, the entire program will have to be repeated in 6 months.