Greece excluded from UK’s travel ‘green list,’ report says Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

Greece excluded from UK’s travel ‘green list,’ report says

by Erno » 05 May 2021, 08:54

Greece excluded from UK’s travel ‘green list,’ report says - 5 May, 2020

People from Britain will be able to fly to Gibraltar and Malta but not to Spain and Greece under UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s green light scheme, The Sun newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The two tiny Mediterranean sunspots are set to be included on the green list for quarantine-free travel after May 17 due to be announced this Friday, according to the newspaper. The green status for those places would mean that Brits can visit there with just two Covid-19 tests on their return.

Spain and Greece will likely have to wait until a review in June, the report added, citing sources. Those two countries are likely to be on the “amber list,” meaning people can visit but will have to quarantine for 10 days when they return to the UK, the newspaper said.

Most top destinations including France will be given the green travel go ahead by the school summer holidays in July, The Sun reported.

Britain is set to announce the green list for countries that people can travel to on holiday shortly, and will have the right procedures in place to ensure travel can happen safely, said trade minister Liz Truss on Tuesday. [Reuters]

From: https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/11605 ... port-says/
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

jan

Re: Greece excluded from UK’s travel ‘green list,’ report says

by jan » 05 May 2021, 09:03

As this report is from the Sun 'newspaper', I don't put too much credence by the content.

It may well be correct (though I'm hoping not, having a flight booked to Chania in early June) but there are conflicting views elsewhere in the media, print and online, suggesting that some of the islands including Rhodes and Crete might be in the green zone. It's all speculation at present.

I think we just have to continue keeping our fingers crossed and our vaccination certificates at the ready.

Jan

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 05 May 2021, 17:06

I read in an English newspaper this morning (Wednesday 05 May) that the British Government will confirm in two days time (Friday 07 May) the green light, safe destinations for British people to holiday in. Grete was on this list as a safe place for the British. Can't find the article again but if I come accross more information I will post it on this forum.

SfakianPie

UK Green List from May 17th h

by SfakianPie » 07 May 2021, 16:34

Portugal
Israel
Singapore
Australia
New Zealand
Brunei
Iceland
Gibraltar
Falkland Islands
Faroe Islands
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island

davidsiorns

by davidsiorns » 09 May 2021, 09:37

I am not so concerned about getting Crete (apart from the likely cost of flights) more in what I will find when I get there and whether or not I will be able to return. I'm afraid it looks like next year., although i do have slim hopes still. [^***]

jean h

by jean h » 11 May 2021, 12:33

As of this morning, a UK government agency has stated that Brits could be allowed to travel to Crete on holiday (after May 17th, or when restrictions are lifted):

"The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against all but essential travel to Greece, except for the islands of Rhodes, Kos, Zakynthos, Corfu and Crete, based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks."
(https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... tent=daily)

Hurrah, and hope this turns out to be the case!
Last edited by jean h on 12 May 2021, 09:14, edited 2 times in total.

jean h

by jean h » 11 May 2021, 21:14

Clarification: although the FCDO stated that Crete and the other named islands are an exception, all of Greece is still on the 'amber list', meaning people will need to self-isolate for 10 days on return, as well as take covid tests. These 'traffic light' lists will be reviewed every 3 weeks. The situation is confusing.