Covid tests in Sfakia (not Chania) Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

IanBri

Covid tests in Sfakia (not Chania)

by IanBri » 02 May 2021, 16:23

Before we can fly home, at the end of our holiday on Crete, the UK government (and I think the same is for most countries) requires a negative PCR Covid test taken within 72 hours of departure. That could mean cutting our holiday in Sfakia short by 1-2 days to get to Chania to have a test there and get the results.
Can anyone tell me if it possible to get a PCR Covid test or a registered antigen Covid lateral floe test in Loutro or Chora Sfakion.
Many thanks, Ian.

Micki

Re: Covid tests in Sfakia (not Chania)

by Micki » 02 May 2021, 21:20

To get an answer on your question I would suggest that you contact the village health centre in Chora Sfakion. They should know about the nearest testing facilities.

The antigen tests do not require more than 30 minutes before you get the test results. I am certain that there are labs in Chania and also in Heraklion that do the tests, and it shouldn't take more than 1 day.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 02 May 2021, 21:41

At THIS moment it is possible in Sfakia to do a Covid-19 test every Tuesday. You need to make an appointment for this. If you can provide them with your health insurance ID number, it is free.

You will need a so-called Greek AMKA number, to get a free test.

To get a temporary AMKA number, as a foreigner: please read this:

https://news.gtp.gr/2021/03/05/how-to-g ... ccination/

The article is about vaccination as a foreigner, but for tests only it is -at the moment- also necessary to get a AMKA number.

I am sure this procedure will be improved as soon as possible, when the tourist season opens. If I have news, I will post it here. Anyway your hotel host will know, and can inform you what to do, while you are there. It is in everybody's interest.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 11 May 2021, 09:50

Situation in Chora Sfakion as of today (unchanged) : PCR tests only on Tuesday ,self tests you can buy at the pharmacy for about 7 Euro.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

bearbommi

by bearbommi » 15 May 2021, 08:37

We asked at the hospital in Chora Sfakion on Tuesday, 11th and got the reply, that there make no kind of tests (no PCR- or Rapid-Tests). They gave us different addresses of different laboratories in Chania, where we finally made the Rapid-Test. As we are fully vaccinated, we had no problems at the airport. Ryanair approved the Rapid-Test.

wiklu

by wiklu » 24 May 2021, 17:51

I left Sfakia last Friday. I also had been thinking quite a while how to manage the test before my departure from Iraklio. I finally decided to do it halfway on my way to the airport, in a suburb of Rethymnon, called Adelianos Kampos. Easy parking nearby. All together I had my certification within an hour..Fortunately Germany only requires a rapid test. Later I heard that Georgioupolis also has a testing Center. The North Coast with higher number of tourists is better prepared and equipped. Nevertheless I think that Sfakia also has to provide a testing center somewhere in the area. The Health Center in Sfakia refused to do tests for tourists. They provide addresses.
By the way, the German/Greek film crew who actually is busy in Sfakia have their own testing