How are you doing with Loutro? Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

kokkinos vrachos

How are you doing with Loutro?

by kokkinos vrachos » 07 Nov 2020, 10:34

Kalimera, when I came to Loutro for the first time on a hike in 2008, I liked the place. Around the church with the huge palm tree and the former school you could still discover a little of the "old Loutro". Today the church is built in, nothing of the "old Loutro" can be seen.

For years, Loutro has been too clean and hip for me - after the ignorance and indifference towards the refugees - Loutro has continued to lose sympathy with me.

It's actually a shame, because Loutro and Cape Mouri with the remains of the Turkish fortress (Koules) still exude a nice peacefulness and uniqueness during a stop at the small pier ...

How are you doing with Loutro?

kaló Savvatokýriako, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Marie and Andrew

Re: How are you doing with Loutro?

by Marie and Andrew » 08 Nov 2020, 13:33

Hello Kokkinos,

In reply to your question about Loutro we can only say we enjoy to take the small boat Delfini from the old harbour to go to Loutro just for a few hours to have a nice dinner, and then take the boat back to Chora Sfakion. Once we have stopped there for two nights but we prefere a more living village like Chora Sfakion. The first time we went to Loutro was 2014. Because of the beautiful position of Loutro we can understand that some people are attracted to stay longer. For example three years ago we met two women from Australia who spend four weeks in the same hotel in Loutro every summer just to relax, read books, swim and wind down.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 08 Nov 2020, 19:36

Kalispera Marie and Andrew, thanks for your answer.

Loutro certainly has many longstanding regulars. I also love staying in one place for 4 weeks, taking good books with me, swimming, hiking, cooking and just chilling out.

In January 2018 I was in Frangokastello for 1 month, in November 2018 for 1 month in Paleochora. Before that I had a house near Kalyves for 3 years.

Loutro has (to this day) a special atmosphere that you notice immediately when the ferry arrives at the small pier. Today I wouldn't stay in Loutro for one or more nights - for various reasons.

My favorite place is Sougia, that's where I can endure the longest, also in Paleochora ......

Greetings to Sweden, kv
Nikos Kazantzakis

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 08 Nov 2020, 21:58

Kalispera Kokkinos,

We started to come to Crete 2014, before that 1980 for a trip to Agios Nikolaos. The cyklades has been our favorite places because we (Andrew England) and (Marie Sweden) met on the island Ios 1980 - 40 years ago this year 2 of Sept.
Crete is a lovely island, and so big that you can come here sooo many times and still have so much to discover.

We stayed in Kalyves for two weeks in May 2014 and really liked it, because it is a living place, like we wrote about Chora Sfakion, with greek people living there the whole year around.
When and how dig you find this Forum?

Thanks a lot for all your input. Have a nice week in Hamburg. We always associate Hamburg with Beatles, where they became famous. My husband is from The Wirral on Merseyside close to Liverpool, and have been to The Cavern where Beatles played.

Take care.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 09 Nov 2020, 08:09

Kalimera Marie and Andrew, Yes, Crete is a very diverse island due to its size. I've been coming to Crete since 2008. I've been to Crete 20 times in October. Certainly know 70-80% of the island. But I also have a few corners and hikes on my list. But I am always drawn to the southwest corner: Paleochora, Sougia and Frangokastello.

The forum could be a little livelier. Today almost every place in Crete has its own Facebook group. It all takes place in the Crete Facebook groups. The Crete forums are unfortunately being phased out. Of the 3 German-speaking Crete forums, 2 closed this year after many years. But I'm glad that the Crete forums still exist, because I'm not on Facebook and I don't want to support Facebook either. I deal with Crete every day and am very interested in exchanging information about our beloved island.

I deal with Crete every day and am very interested in exchanging information about our beloved island.

I live 3 minutes walk from the Indra, where the Beatles first performed.

kalí evdomáda, kv
Nikos Kazantzakis

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 09 Nov 2020, 20:52

Kalispera Kokkinos,

Oh nice you have been travelling there since 2008. I forgot that I (Marie) was actually there 1980 also. Yes it is a very, very nice island. We can understand and respect that you do not wish to join a facebook group. We have always also been against it but became "members" one year ago, but do not often go in to it. But recantly we become members in a few swedish Greek-groups and Crete/Sweden. And for the first time now when we were on Crete in October a few weeks ago, we put up a lot of pictures and nice stories and videofilms about what we were doing and we got a fantastic feedback and respons of people home in Sweden who thanked us for letting them be with us on our trip, because covid-19 has stopped many people from traveling. We were really surpriced of the respons, because it was the first time we put something on facebook.

Oh so fun that you only lives 3 minutes from the Club Indra, the historic place where Beatles played, that was a surprice to us.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew