The upcoming Greek winter will be something like this Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

kokkinos vrachos

Re: The upcoming Greek winter will be something like this

by kokkinos vrachos » 20 Nov 2020, 17:11

jassas, the government has temporarily "confiscated" two private clinics in Thessaloniki and their staff in order to be able to accommodate Covid patients. The public hospitals in the health system that has been destroyed in recent years are at the limit.

Greece proceeds with requisition of two private clinics in Thessaloniki
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... ssaloniki/

One problem with this is that the private clinics are not geared towards fighting pandemics at all - that is a public task. But this drastic step shows how broken the health system is - a consequence of the austerity policy / memoranda imposed by the Troika.

I recently read that Greece is missing around 9,000 intensive care beds. The first hospitals in Athens are reporting that their intensive care units are fully utilized. It will be a bad winter for the Greeks, because even during the pandemic, the New Democracy continues to work on the privatization of the health care system.

As the Greek healthcare system prepares to collapse, the Greek government, in the midst of the pandemic crisis, decides to buy over 100 new police motorcycles and 300 new police cars from Peugeot.

While people in Greece are dying of missing beds in the intensive care unit and medical equipment. A Peugeot 308 costs around 22,000 euros.

Why Greece's health system is collapsing is obvious; Instead of doctors and hospital beds, investments were made in a massive upgrade of the police. A total of 778 new vehicles were bought for the police under Mitsotakis in the current year alone.
6,000 new police officers were hired during the pandemic - converted to Germany's population, that would be 50,000 police officers.

On November 16 Greek media reports that following Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis' decision to buy 18 twin-engine French Rafale fighter jets, the Department of Defense plans to buy 18 to 24 F-35 fighter jets from the US.

While the health system is collapsing across Greece, billions are being invested in military and police armament and police festivals are being held.

The priorities are clear. The health system continues to bleed out ......

Ta Leme, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 20 Nov 2020, 19:27

I recently read that Greece is missing around 9,000 intensive care beds

Not everything you read is true. Fake news!

I prefer if you would keep Greek politics outside of this forum, and leave it to the Greeks themselves.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

kokkinos vrachos

by kokkinos vrachos » 20 Nov 2020, 20:37

Kalispera Erno, the pandemic is a global problem, why shouldn't I comment on it?

Of course I am not that naive and believe everything that is in the newspapers.

Whether the number is correct or not is not that important either. The fact is that the Greek health system was bad even before the crisis. Now, after 10 years of austerity and privatization, it doesn't look any better.

[deleted link]

kalo vradi, kv
"I hope nothing, I fear nothing, I am free."
Nikos Kazantzakis

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 20 Nov 2020, 20:56

I ask you one more time: keep Greek politics outside of this forum, and leave it to the Greeks themselves.

This forum is not the place for ventilating political views. Please stop, and find another place for it, if you must.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Kuno

by Kuno » 21 Nov 2020, 00:10

Erno wrote:I ask you one more time: keep Greek politics outside of this forum, and leave it to the Greeks themselves.

This forum is not the place for ventilating political views. Please stop, and find another place for it, if you must.

+1