October weather Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

jan

October weather

by jan » 30 Sep 2020, 11:08

We haven't visited Crete in October for about 25 years but after two postponements (forced flight changes) during the summer we're now hoping to come in 10 days time.

We'd be very grateful to hear from October regulars what weather to expect - we're walkers rather than beach people and will be equipped for cool and rain but as we carry our belongings with us every few days weight is an important factor when deciding what to pack. I've looked at past weather reports so can see the bare facts ( high and low temperatures/number of days with rain) but any advice based on personal experience would be welcome.

jan@olsenevents.dk

Re: October weather

by jan@olsenevents.dk » 30 Sep 2020, 12:42

Hi,

We have been in southern Crete in the 2 middle weeks of October for the past 18 years - most years in Sfakia. I will say that 80% of the years the weather seems to follow this pattern; first part of the 2 weeks it is nice and warm (around 25) in day time with the odd clouds here and there - but really nice - also in the evenings where you only need a thin sweater (if you are from Northern Europe).

In the latter part of the period there are typical are 2-3 days with overcast and strong winds and heavy showers - often only in the evenings those days. Then good days again although the sea can be a bid rough after the strong winds. But it is still warm - maybe 23-24 degrees.

We have had 2 years with more severe weather some years back - but again not for a full week.

We always bring a thin rain-jacket that also can break the wind and long trousers - but we have actually not ever used the long trousers - only shorts - but again - we are from Denmark.

hope this helps

Jan

jan

Re: October weather

by jan » 30 Sep 2020, 14:38

Thank you, that's really helpful.

We'll be travelling from the UK in long trousers and fleece jackets with rain jackets in our rucksacks - whatever the weather in Crete, I'm sure we'll need these clothes on the journey to the airport! - but from what you say we may be able to pack them away for the first week at least.

Thanks again, and I hope you enjoy your own trip.

Jan