The upcoming Greek summer will be something like this - Part 2 Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: The upcoming Greek summer will be something like this - Part 2

by Erno » 14 Aug 2020, 19:50

Tourism expectations in Greece have been lowered - 14 August, 2020

This summer for Greek tourism is proving tougher than initially estimated as the 15 billion euros that will be missing from this year’s travel receipts from abroad correspond to a percentage that is close to 7.5% of GDP.

Not only are arrivals and receipts dramatically reduced, but also the operating rules in place due to the pandemic are creating huge challenges for hotels, air travel, shipping and catering businesses as well as entertainment.

The climate of uncertainty is further exacerbated by the ongoing recession in foreign tourist markets, which have added to the health reasons that are preventing travel.

Speaking to Kathimerini, the president of the Greek Tourism Confederation (SETE), Yiannis Retsos, said that “since May we had said, as SETE, that this year’s tourist year would start from scratch and anything built on it could only be positive for businesses and employees. In fact, we set the bar between 20-25% of last year’s 18.5 billion euros, always under certain conditions.” However, he bemoaned that, “unfortunately, the evolution of the pandemic internationally forces us today to place the revenue estimate below 20%, between €3-3.5 billion.”

Retsos said there will be two huge challenges in the coming months: “Supporting the work with new measures and shaping the existing ones so that a wave of redundancies can be stopped” and “protecting the very good brand that our country has built” in recent months.

From: https://www.ekathimerini.com/255852/art ... en-lowered
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 22 Aug 2020, 09:06

More than 80% less tourist arrivals this year in Greece - 22 August, 2020

airports-empty.jpg

Of the 34 million arrivals that Greek Tourism "counted" last year, it is believed that this year it will be difficult to save 20% of travel traffic from abroad

The first data of the Bank of Greece for the first half of the year show the size of the losses. Incoming travel traffic decreased by 76.9%, reaching only 2.2 million travelers, compared to 9.4 million travelers in the corresponding period of 2019. In particular, according to the BoG, travel traffic through airports decreased by 84.6%, while that through road stations by 55.4%.

The picture from the main markets for Greek Tourism is similar. Traffic from Germany fell by 89.1% to 148 thousand passengers, while that from France decreased by 93.4% to 35 thousand passengers. Regarding non-EU-27 countries, travel traffic from the United Kingdom decreased by 89.4% to 117 thousand arrivals.

In terms of revenues, travel receipts in the first half of the year decreased by 87.5% compared to the corresponding period of 2019 and amounted to 678 million euros. In June, revenue was only 64 million euros, down from 2.56 billion euros last year.

It is recalled that travel receipts in 2019 amounted to 18.2 billion euros, showing an increase of 13% compared to 2018. The increase in travel receipts in 2019 compared to 2018 was a result of the increase in average travel expenses by 48 euros or 9.9% (2019: 535 euros, 2018: 486 euros), as well as the increase of the incoming traffic of non-resident travelers by 2.8%.

August closes with "lockdown"

The last week of August finds two of the most popular tourist destinations, Mykonos and Halkidiki, in "local lockdown regime", due to the high epidemiological load that is recorded. A decision to reduce the dispersion that had been observed by the non-observance of the protection rules, but which already has implications for the already burdened situation of the protective measures.

According to the president of the Panhellenic Hoteliers Federation, Grigoris Tassios, who is active in Halkidiki, "the seasonality ends anyway with 35 - 40% average occupancy for July and August. "Conferences that should make up the big cities today do not even reach 10%."

It is difficult to survive until next season

As the season is long gone, the anxiety of the tourism market and those employed in the industry is focused on business support measures until March 2021, when the effort to stimulate the flow of travel will begin again. The Association of Greek Tourist Enterprises, in a letter to the Government states that the revenues will not exceed 3.5 billion euros by the end of the year and asks for the subsidy of insurance contributions, the extension of the measure of suspension of employment contracts and against them October and November, the extension of the SYN-WORK program until 31-3-2021, the coverage of leave and Christmas gift of employees in seasonal companies whose contracts are suspended and a change in the insurance coverage of those employees who are employed by tele-work.

From: https://flashnews.gr/post/435036/panw-a ... -toyristwn
All the best,

Erno

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 22 Aug 2020, 12:40

Not good news Erno.
Makes me sad to read this. Yet another cross for Greek families in the touristic industry to carry on their shoulders.
And the young workers who rely on these families for some months of work.
My thoughts are with these families and these people, expecially those in Sfakia and Loutro who have helped me over the years to have wonderful holidays, full of memories.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 28 Aug 2020, 21:54

Greece: no more negative test necessary for the Dutch - 28 August, 2020

Dutch people traveling to Greece will no longer need a mandatory negative corona test from Tuesday, 1st September 2020. The Netherlands is considered to have the virus sufficiently under control.

To enter the country, the Dutch had to be able to prove that they were not infected since 17 August. The negative test could not be older than 72 hours on arrival.

Due to the increase in the number of infections in Greece, extra measures will be taken: flights to and from Barcelona, ​​among others, are prohibited from Monday. 270 new corona infections were reported today, according to Reuters news agency. A total of 8,900 people in Greece are said to have been infected.

Edit: For Belgium however, a negative Coronatest is still mandatory until 19 September.
All the best,

Erno

mike

by mike » 30 Aug 2020, 07:47

Dutch people traveling to Greece will no longer need a mandatory negative corona test from Tuesday, 1st September 2020.

I reserved a flight to Chania a couple of days ago, and made a reservation for a PCR test 2 days before departure. This was tedious to work around the timing, given the 72 hour limitation. Also the test had to be given by a private company (not municipal health service GGD) and the cost of the test was as much as the cost of my return flight!

It all had to be done so I just got on with the bureaucracy. So, it is good news that the PCR requirement has been dropped.

This update on gov't policy has also been reported on the Greek travel site https://travel.gov.gr/#/

I haven't yet cancelled my reservation for a PCR test. I think it is better to be alert to last-minute changes in policy. For better or worse, that's just the way things are being done, so I try to plan around it. I will cancel the test a day before, save myself €150, which can be better spent in other ways in Sfakia.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 01 Sep 2020, 06:54

Wave of flight changes to Crete - 1 September, 2020

The last days we see the wave of flight changes to Crete intensify.

This started from the late opening of the season in July, became worse in August, and now for September it seems that there are more flights getting changed than stay unchanged.

The flight companies first cancel the original flight, due to low occupancy, and then the passengers need to find another one, thus needing to also change their hotel bookings, car rentals and taxi transfers. It unfortunately is not always possible to change, and thus more cancellations come in.

All this is making an already very complicated holiday season even more troublesome.

We would like to inform you that, in the context of the adaptation of our flight schedule due to the dynamically changing situation caused by the pandemic of COVID-19, we have been forced to cancel your flight.

Aegean Airlines
All the best,

Erno

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 02 Sep 2020, 09:00

Scotland imposes 14-day quarantine on arrivals from Greece - 2 September, 2020

greece-masks-tourists.jpg

Scotland said it would impose a 14-day quarantine on all arrivals from Greece starting on Thursday because Covid-19 infection rates there are too high.

There has been a “significant rise” in cases of coronavirus being brought into Scotland, a devolved region of the United Kingdom, from people who have been to Greece, the Scottish government said on Tuesday.

“We are in the midst of a global pandemic and the situation in many countries can change suddenly. Therefore, people should think very hard before committing to non-essential travel abroad,” said Humza Yousaf, Scotland’s justice minister.

Meanwhile, the Welsh government has said holidaymakers returning to Wales from the Greek island of Zante are to be asked to quarantine for 14 days and be offered Covid-19 tests.

Britain’s national government in London was expected to decide later this week whether to quarantine travellers returning from Greece, a decision that would apply to England.

From: https://www.ekathimerini.com/256480/art ... rom-greece
All the best,

Erno

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 04 Sep 2020, 08:58

Wales puts Crete on quarantine list - 4 September, 2020

The Welsh government has announced that, effective from Friday, all travelers and holidaymakers returning from six Greek islands will have to self-isolate for two weeks.

The Greek islands on the so-called “red list” of destinations experiencing a surge in coronavirus infections are Mykonos, Zakynthos, Lesvos, Paros, Antiparos and Crete. The restrictions also apply to Portugal, Gibraltar and French Polynesia.

Scotland also imposed quarantine rules starting on Thursday on travelers returning from Greece, though the country is still regarded as a travel corridor for England and Northern Ireland.

From: https://www.ekathimerini.com/256572/art ... ntine-list
All the best,

Erno

rambler

by rambler » 04 Sep 2020, 22:47

Was supposed to fly to Mykonos checking in at Manchester at 0500 Saturday morning . Did not receive my QR code thingy until 2215 Friday night (7 hrs before check in) when I would hopefully have been asleep in a hotel nearby. It's a good job I had to move that flight to May 2021 as I would have been worried sick that I would not be let in as I had not received the code & would have lost a night's sleep through worrying about it. Why the hell the authoritites cannot send it out earlier I do not know. As for persons with no smart phone they would not have received the email at home in time to print it out & would probably have been refused boarding on their flight!!!! Dave

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 07 Sep 2020, 19:41

Crete added to UK and Netherlands quarantine list - 7 September, 2020

Seven Greek islands have been added to the list of countries from which travellers must quarantine when entering England (and the Netherlands) to try to curb the spread of the new coronavirus, British transport minister Grant Shapps said on Monday.

Shapps told parliament that improved access to data meant he could now decide rules on an island-by-island basis depending on COVID-19 infection rates.

Passengers arriving from Lesbos, Tinos, Serifos, Mykonos, Crete, Santorini and Zakynthos will from 0300 GMT on Wednesday (Netherlands from Tuesday) have to quarantine for 14 days (10 days NL) on arrival back home, he said.

The announcement was part of a new policy allowing different rules to be applied to different islands within states.

"For the first time, we have the data and the capacity to add and remove specific islands from quarantine while still providing maximum protection to the UK public," he said.

Britain's constituent nations have different quarantine policies. Last week, Wales added six Greek islands to its list, and Scotland put arrivals from all Greece under restrictions.

Airlines and tour companies have sought a change in the rules. Spain has urged Britain to adopt more flexible rules so that British tourists visiting areas such as the Balearic Islands, where there are fewer coronavirus cases than on mainland Spain, do not have to quarantine on their return home.

Shapps said infection rates in the Balearic and Canary Islands remained too high to be removed from the quarantine list.

Health minister Matt Hancock said earlier on Monday that Britain was looking at ways to reduce the quarantine period, possibly by requiring travellers to take a test eight days after arrival.

From: https://www.ekathimerini.com/256662/art ... ntine-list
All the best,

Erno