Imbros gorge taxi Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

knownort

Imbros gorge taxi

by knownort » 11 Jun 2019, 18:55

Just paid Dionysus taverna 20euros for a lift to imbros to collect our car. I am sure I only paid 10euros last year. Does anyone know what others charge. Seems like a huge increase in 1 year or have just been mugged. I know I should have checked first so maybe this is just a warning to others.

Wolfgang

Re: Imbros gorge taxi

by Wolfgang » 11 Jun 2019, 22:23

The taxi is on the way about 1 hour, the petrol may cost about 10 Euro.
Car usage 5 Euro, at least.
So the driver has less than 5 Euro per hour.

You feel mugged?

Aradena

by Aradena » 12 Jun 2019, 19:04

One hour and petrol for 10 Euro from Komitades to Imbros oneway? You are kidding, Wolfgang.

agonigrami

by agonigrami » 12 Jun 2019, 20:45

Last year my wife and I paid a local taxi driver 10 EUR to get us from Sougia to the Oasis Taverna (entrance of Agia Irini Gorge), which is more or less 5 Km drive and half the time to get to Imbros from Komitades. I personally felt robbed.

Alf

Gerrit

by Gerrit » 12 Jun 2019, 21:16

Screenshot_20190612-225735_Maps.jpg
b
agonigrami wrote:Last year my wife and I paid a local taxi driver 10 EUR to get us from Sougia to the Oasis Taverna (entrance of Agia Irini Gorge), which is more or less 5 Km drive and half the time to get to Imbros from Komitades. I personally felt robbed.

Alf

This topic is taking really a weird turn. For your information. Your "less than 5 km drive to Oasis Taverna" turns out to be nearly 4 times as far , to be exactly 18 kilometers. Petrol is not cheap in Greece and definitly not free. From Sougia up to the entrance of the Irini gorge and back takes (see google maps, 36 km and about an 1 hour drive). So for your wee 10 euro, the driver has to pay the petrol, the maintanace of the car and a few euro wages for his 1 hour drive. Last week I did the trip to Ag. Irini myself and walk all the way down to Sougia. So I know were i am talking about. i wouldnt want you in my car for a 36 km 1 hour return trip for 10 euro. I find your "feeling robbed" insulting.
Kind regards
Gerrit

agonigrami

by agonigrami » 12 Jun 2019, 22:01

A weird turn indeed, since the Taverna Oasis is at the LOWER entrance of Agia Irini Gorge, more or less 5 Km far from Sougia, as I said.

Alf

Gerrit

by Gerrit » 12 Jun 2019, 22:18

agonigrami wrote:A weird turn indeed, since the Taverna Oasis is at the LOWER entrance of Agia Irini Gorge, more or less 5 Km far from Sougia, as I said.

Alf

I still wouldnt take you for a 10 km return trip for a wee 10 euro. If you dont like the fare, dont take it

agonigrami

by agonigrami » 12 Jun 2019, 22:39

Unfortunately, we were told the fare at the end of the trip. You usually agree the fare in advance for longer trips. So the 10 EUR came a bit as a surprise, especially considering that we knew the driver from a previous vacation and he remembered us (he took us from Sougia to Paleochora for a more than fair, fare).

Only, I don't understand why you keep saying you wouldn't take us, are you a taxi driver? Given your lack of manners and cluelessness about local places, I don't think I would use your service.

Alf

Gerrit

by Gerrit » 12 Jun 2019, 22:57

agonigrami wrote:Unfortunately, we were told the fare at the end of the trip. You usually agree the fare in advance for longer trips. So the 10 EUR came a bit as a surprise, especially considering that we knew the driver from a previous vacation and he remembered us (he took us from Sougia to Paleochora for a more than fair, fare).

Only, I don't understand why you keep saying you wouldn't take us, are you a taxi driver? Given your lack of manners and cluelessness about local places, I don't think I would use your service.

Alf

Sorry Alf i am done talking about your bad 10 euro experience. Pathetic. So next time you will agree on a fare before leaving. Opening a cab door here allready costs you 4,5 euro. But please stop saying "being robbed" and no, i am not a taxi driver but a frequent happy user. Good night!

Kuno

by Kuno » 12 Jun 2019, 23:18

I've been a taxi driver myself for long years in Osnabrück/LowerSaxony/Germany. About 160.000 inhabitants. Here the official charge for a ride from downtown city to my home is about 13 euros for 4.5 kilometers. If the driver gets someone to take back to town, it's 26 euros for 9 kilomters. Thats nice for him and it may happen, because there's lots of people (160.000) who might need a taxi . If not, it's just 13 euro for 9 kilometers.
Now switch to Sfakia. Taxi gets a job Komitades to Imbros. One way 13.6 kilometers according to googlemaps. Would be lot of luck, if in Imbros the driver would get a job to drive back. If not, its back and forth about 27 km >20 euros > just about 75 cents per km. RipOff? No!
Just because we are used to get cheap flights from northern europe down to Crete, we shouldn't expect to get equal dumping prices all around. Iḿ sure, the drivers know, what they (have to) demand.
Last edited by Kuno on 13 Jun 2019, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.