At the risk of their lives the inhabitants of Ag. Roumeli repaired the water pipe Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

At the risk of their lives the inhabitants of Ag. Roumeli repaired the water pipe

by Erno » 08 Mar 2019, 10:35

At the risk of their lives the inhabitants of Ag. Roumeli repaired the water pipe - 8 March, 2019

samaria-water-repair.jpg

After 13 days the water supply of the village of Agia Roumeli was restored in the southern part of the Samaria Gorge, which supplies the village with natural water from the gorge.

The plastic pipeline had been broken by falling rocks during the last bad weather, but the height of the water flow at the location of "Sideroportes" [the most narrow part of the gorge, the "Doors"] of the gorge exceeded 1.5 meters, and made it extremely dangerous and prohibitive to control and repair the damage.

Eventually, on Thursday village residents and the local community's president, Giannis Tzatzimakis, entered the raging waters of the river, crossed the "Doors" with the risk of getting caught by the raging waters and immersed - literally - in the water to the middle of their body, repaired the damage.

"After 13 days my village Agia Roumeli of Sfakia municipality is drinking water again thanks to the efforts of my fellow villagers and the fervor of the plumber Lefteris Koukouvitakis", was the comment of Mr. Tzatzimakis.

It should be noted that the inhabitants of Agia Roumeli are opposed to the water pricing imposed by the Municipality of Sfakia by placing water meters.

As Mr. Tzatzimakis mentions, the water goes to the village by natural flow, while during the winter the villagers repair the damage themselves. Given this, they ask not to pay for drinking water during the Winter.

They agree to pay a symbolic price per cubic meter during the summer, when consumption increases due to the many visitors to the Samaria Gorge.

From: https://flashnews.gr/post/382567/me-kin ... roy-binteo
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com