Wild orchids Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Dorthe

Wild orchids

by Dorthe » 20 Jan 2019, 11:36

Does anyone know whether there are any wild orchids left at Gerakari? We went there in 2016, and there was just one field left with wild flowers, and that had tracks from heavy vehicles going through it. It seemed that all the rest had either been farmed or used for grazing.
We are coming back to Sfakia this spring, and if possible, we would love to see them again before they all disappear.
Vulnerable pieces of nature can change an awful lot in three years. Hope there is still a little piece of Paradise there.

wiklu

Re: Wild orchids

by wiklu » 22 Jan 2019, 14:38

Hello Dorthe,
I know a place with orchids which is called Gious Kambos above Spilí on the road to Gerakari. Across a small building (Taverna? Kafenion? Shed? always closed in early spring) you will find quite a variety of orchids on a small hill. The right visiting time depends on how winter passed off, mild or cold. I always was successful in early April. This area is also known for the rare species of tulipa doerfleri. Good luck!
Wiltrud

Dorthe

Re: Wild orchids

by Dorthe » 12 Feb 2019, 14:02

wiklu wrote:Hello Dorthe,
I know a place with orchids which is called Gious Kambos above Spilí on the road to Gerakari. Across a small building (Taverna? Kafenion? Shed? always closed in early spring) you will find quite a variety of orchids on a small hill. The right visiting time depends on how winter passed off, mild or cold. I always was successful in early April. This area is also known for the rare species of tulipa doerfleri. Good luck!
Wiltrud

Dear Wiltrud.
Thank you very much. That was the place I meant. I am so happy that it still exists.
I will see it in April.
All the best
Dorthe