Taking the bus without English or Greek Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Mihalis

Taking the bus without English or Greek

by Mihalis » 04 Jul 2018, 13:54

I have a non-english and non-greek speaking relative of my wife who may be visiting us when we are in Sfakia in August. She will be flying into CHQ and would need to take a bus from the airport to the main Chania bus terminal, and from there to Sfakia. Does anyone know how someone who doesn't speak any English or Greek is able to do this?

kiki

Re: Taking the bus without English or Greek

by kiki » 04 Jul 2018, 17:51

Hi,

which languages speaks the relative of your wife? German , French or Spanish?

I have learned that some people in touristic places of Crete speak a little German or French.

Perhaps she can take a little dictionary book with her.

regards
Sabine

Micki

by Micki » 04 Jul 2018, 18:04

Usually Cretans are very helpful, and some also speak French or Italian or German. So if you go to the bus ticket counter at CHQ and say "Chania", I am very optimistic that someone will guide you to the bus. Same procedure in Chania if you buy a ticket to Sfakia - I think there is only a direct connection so that you don't have to switch busses. It might be helpful to write down for your relatives how 'Chania' and 'Sfakia' look like in Greek letters - and to inform them about the bus time table (only helpful if it doesn't change on a daily basis during the summer).
I believe one even doesn't get lost in a taverna in Sfakia - have a look at the food in the kitchen and indicate what you want. We very much like that often one still can go into the kitchen and choose the meal, although this is less common now. I remember the first time in Crete (about 40 years ago) when we sat down at a taverna and wanted to place an order - no one came and asked. Luckily the Cretan people helped - them speaking no English and us speaking no Greek.

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 04 Jul 2018, 18:35

She will be flying into CHQ and would need to take a bus from the airport to the main Chania bus terminal, and from there to Sfakia

If she can afford it: ordering a Sfakia taxi from the airport directly to Sfakia will save her trouble, and time:

http://www.taxi-sfakia.com/en/sfakia-ta ... -transfer/
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

kiki

by kiki » 04 Jul 2018, 21:37

A taxi is quite expensive for one person , having asked in May fom Vrisses to Sfakia is 55 Euro! The bus from Vrises-Sfakia is bout 5 Euros.

sethuk

by sethuk » 05 Jul 2018, 14:22

Why not go on the bus yourself and meet her?
An inexpensive option surely and a guarantee of her safety.
Cheers @--@
Seth