Sfakia to Agia Roumeli, post Neptune Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

sethuk

Sfakia to Agia Roumeli, post Neptune

by sethuk » 09 May 2018, 16:18

Greeting to all who browse here.
With dear old Neptune out of commission I wonder if my ferry requirements can still be met.
Or, will I have to hire a water taxi for my annual holiday in Agia Roumeli.
Below I set out my usual schedule.
1. Arrive at 1310hrs at Chania Airport.
2. Arrive in Hora Sfakion [by Amiradakis Taxi] at approx 1500hrs.
3. Depart for Loutro on FB Daskaloyannis at 1830hrs.
4. Arrive Loutro 1850hrs
5. Transfer to FB Neptune and arrive at Agia Roumeli at 1945hrs approx.

Two weeks later
1. Depart Agia Roumeli at 0830hrs on FB Neptune
2. Arrive 1000hrs in Hora Sfakion.
3. Depart for Chania Airport at 1100hrs [Amiradakis Taxi] to arrive in time for a 1410hrs departure to Manchester.

Anendyk have not amended their timetables yet so do I assume that FB Daskaloyannis is now going to overnight in Agia Roumeli. [I'm sure the Captain would be well pleased with that].

As a footnote I thought that poor old Neptune looked as if she was ailing before her grounding. Reminded me of dry rot [on a boat, surely not].

Any thoughts on this rambling post, most welcome.
All the best to all
Seth @--@

jimb

Re: Sfakia to Agia Roumeli, post Neptune

by jimb » 09 May 2018, 17:06

Hi Seth.
That is a nuisance right enough. If the Daskaloyannis was to over night in Agia Roumelli then that would be the answer to your prayers. The captain might not be that keen, apart from the nightlife the jetty at Agia Roumelli can be a bit exposed and if the wind was to come to blow up overnight then it would be all hands on deck to take it further out to sea. It looks like the water taxi. You could also consider going to Sougia/ Paleochora on your first and last night and come down to Agia Roumelli that way, but that is starting to get messy. Extra accommodation, taxis, buses etc.
I will be seeking a lazy way out of Agia Roumelli on the 27th, maybe you will have it sorted by then.
Good Luck
Jim

jan

by jan » 10 May 2018, 08:50

If you do think about approaching from the west we'd suggest Paleochora rather than Sougia as your starting point. If the wind did blow up, as happened to us a few years ago, the Samaria could miss out the Sougia stop and go straight from Paleo to Roumeli. That leaves you sitting on the quay at Sougia (no information available there), after the morning bus has left and wondering how to proceed. Our intention was to alight at Roumeli then walk via Sellouda up to Anopolis where our room at Popi's was waiting.

Our anwer was an expensive taxi to Chania and onwards by bus to Anopolis - effectively a wasted day. A friend who'd walked out to Sellouda to meet us was also left sitting, watching the Samaria leave Roumeli for Sfakia and wondering where we'd got to.

So let's hope that Anendyk sort something out for both of you.

Jan

sethuk

by sethuk » 10 May 2018, 12:28

jimb wrote:Hi Seth.
That is a nuisance right enough. If the Daskaloyannis was to over night in Agia Roumelli then that would be the answer to your prayers. The captain might not be that keen, apart from the nightlife the jetty at Agia Roumelli can be a bit exposed and if the wind was to come to blow up overnight then it would be all hands on deck to take it further out to sea. It looks like the water taxi. You could also consider going to Sougia/ Paleochora on your first and last night and come down to Agia Roumelli that way, but that is starting to get messy. Extra accommodation, taxis, buses etc.
I will be seeking a lazy way out of Agia Roumelli on the 27th, maybe you will have it sorted by then.
Good Luck
Jim

Thanks for your post, Jim
Before ANENDYK bought Neptune the Daskaloyannis used to overnight at Agia Roumeli and leave at 0900hrs the next day. It was usually 10-15 minutes late as the Captain had to come down from his house in the village still wiping egg from his chin :D .
In very bad weather (i only saw it once) she rode the storm out at anchor in the lee of the bay.
Cheers
Seth

sethuk

by sethuk » 10 May 2018, 12:45

jan wrote:If you do think about approaching from the west we'd suggest Paleochora rather than Sougia as your starting point. If the wind did blow up, as happened to us a few years ago, the Samaria could miss out the Sougia stop and go straight from Paleo to Roumeli. That leaves you sitting on the quay at Sougia (no information available there), after the morning bus has left and wondering how to proceed. Our intention was to alight at Roumeli then walk via Sellouda up to Anopolis where our room at Popi's was waiting.

Our anwer was an expensive taxi to Chania and onwards by bus to Anopolis - effectively a wasted day. A friend who'd walked out to Sellouda to meet us was also left sitting, watching the Samaria leave Roumeli for Sfakia and wondering where we'd got to.

So let's hope that Anendyk sort something out for both of you.

Jan

Thanks for that horror story, Jan.
I shall continue to hope the ANENDYK will honour their summer timetable.
Cheers
Seth [<>~]