Imbros gorge taxi Everything you want to ask, read or write about Sfakia, southwest Crete, or Crete island in general.

Erno
Site Admin

Re: Imbros gorge taxi

by Erno » 12 Jun 2019, 23:36

Excellent answer (tu) You have explained what I was about to say. Thank you.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

deadeggs

by deadeggs » 13 Jun 2019, 06:56

Oh! calm, calm my children.
I suggest you all get a push bike to get from point A to point B and leave the taxis alone (and the honesty or dishonesty of the drivers also).
End of problem .... no? : and good for your health also.
Lets keep the forum bright, friendly and brotherly.

agonigrami

by agonigrami » 13 Jun 2019, 10:08

Kuno wrote:I've been a taxi driver myself for long years in Osnabrück/LowerSaxony/Germany.

Hi Kuno, I don't know how useful it is to compare German taxi fares to Greek ones, honestly. Mileage is probably similar, but what would you expect a taxi driver should make in Crete? The same as in Germany? As comparisons go, I can tell you that in the UK there are plenty of private taxi services that work on much lower fares than the official Greek ones. If a private driver can make a living in the UK I wouldn't be too much worried about how the Cretan one gets along.

I still rest my case about 10 euro being really too much for a 5 Km trip. Plus, an official taxi driver either would use the taximeter or would agree on the fare beforehand, none of which happened.

So, let's face it, in touristic areas there will always be somebody who takes advantage of the tourists. Certainly I don't get poor for a few euros, but if you are on vacation you are usually in peace with the world and don't like the bitter aftertaste of being taken advantage of in this petty way.
Last edited by agonigrami on 13 Jun 2019, 10:11, edited 5 times in total.

Marie and Andrew

by Marie and Andrew » 13 Jun 2019, 17:32

The fee seems fair!

It is still not clear for us if it was an actual taxi firm you used, or was it the restaurant owners who drove, which could make a difference.
The taxi firms have a tariff to follow, which of course the restaurants do not have.

Best regards
Marie and Andrew

Kuno

by Kuno » 13 Jun 2019, 23:13

agonigrami wrote:I still rest my case about 10 euro being really too much for a 5 Km trip. Plus, an official taxi driver either would use the taximeter or would agree on the fare beforehand, none of which happened.
As i said, for me it's about 13 Euros for 4.5 Km at home with taximeter. And i think, living in Greece/Crete isn't cheeper than in Germany - surely not for the local residents. If your taxidriver has to make a living of his job, what about the winter months, where there are not tourists in need of a ride?
My experience as a taxidriver: the longer the trip, the more possibility to negociate the fee. Short distance: you want/need it all.
And 5 Km is short. :wink:

Mihalis

by Mihalis » 03 Jul 2019, 11:58

I pad 20 euro about 5 years ago, so it seems right.