digital anavasi maps Share your maps of Crete. Post your GPS data of the island, waypoints, tracks and hiking routes. Geology and geography of Crete.

Frank

digital anavasi maps

by Frank » 29 Jan 2016, 12:05

I have purchased the Anavasi Sfakia area map as a digital KMZ file.
It works beautifully within google earth on my desktop, and I presumed it would work on my android devices too in the same way, but it doesn't, I get some kind of parsing error.

There seems to be some kind of incompatibility, but I have no idea of either cause or solution, as I have never used KMZ files before. (just purchased it presuming it would work)

So my question is: does anyone know any application or other way to display the KMZ Anavasi maps on android devices?

Erno
Site Admin

Re: digital anavasi maps

by Erno » 29 Jan 2016, 12:32

All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Frank

by Frank » 29 Jan 2016, 13:23

That is what I tried, but the I get the "parsing error"

There seems to be an incompatibility between the map and the google earth android software, that does not exist when using google earth on a desktop computer.

rick

by rick » 30 Jan 2016, 09:54

Frank

by Frank » 30 Jan 2016, 12:50

Thanks Rick, but I already tried that, with no luck.
I'm waiting for a reply from Anavasi to see if they have a solution.
I might consider just getting the paper version instead.

Frank

by Frank » 07 Feb 2016, 11:46

I've had a reply from Penelope from Anavasi;
she has no idea why I get this error message but she'll try to find out.
She suggested try save the KMZ from Earth on my desktop and load that file instead, but this didn't make any difference.

I received the map as a .TIFF file from her to open in the android app "PDF maps".
That seems to work although I wonder how accurate location is; I compared coordinates of a fixed point with coordinates of other maps and it seems slightly off. I won't be able to tell accuracy until II can start using it on location.

Huck

by Huck » 08 Feb 2016, 18:55

An Anavasi digital map is probably a scanned paper map divided into a large number of small images that assembled create the overlay in Google Earth and supposedly the file format of the images is jpg.

Click on the quoted link above then click on ”Elements with known problems”: Photo Overlay is listed...

mike

by mike » 09 Feb 2016, 08:41

Frank wrote:I received the map as a .TIFF file from her to open in the android app "PDF maps".
That seems to work although I wonder how accurate location is; I compared coordinates of a fixed point with coordinates of other maps and it seems slightly off. I won't be able to tell accuracy until II can start using it on location.

Hi Frank,

I don't have experience with the map overlay on GoogleEarth. However, the accuracy of the coordinates has been discussed on the previous forum.

http://www.sfakia-crete-forum.com/read.php?7,1079

What it comes down to is this: while the Anavasi map probably fits perfectly onto the GoogleEarth coordinate grid, the satellite photos do not. This has to do with the fact that many photos are taken at an angle, not from directly overhead. The effect of this will displace features relative to the underlying coordinates.

See above link for examples.

Frank

by Frank » 09 Feb 2016, 18:55

mike wrote:What it comes down to is this: while the Anavasi map probably fits perfectly onto the GoogleEarth coordinate grid, the satellite photos do not.

I completely understand what you are saying and that makes total sense for satellite imagery of uneven terrain taken at an angle.

But I'm not comparing to sat images but to a reference point on both google maps and in OSM.
Those two maps give the same coordinates for a given reference point, but somehow the Anavasi .TIFF map opened in android "PDF maps" gives coordinates for that same point that are 200 metres off.
I can't test it for real now, but I guess when I am somewhere in the map area and use GPS my location shown on the map will probably also be 200 meters off.

It's not a big deal because I can use OSM instead but it would just be nice if the Anavasi map worked correctly (and preferably as KMZ in Earth like it does on my desktop)

mike

by mike » 10 Feb 2016, 12:12

OK. My misunderstanding ..