Agia Irini and vertigo Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

lightmoorlass

Agia Irini and vertigo

by lightmoorlass » 24 Jul 2017, 09:08

Hi - I know Agia Irini is outside of the area, but hoped you might be able to help me. Having watched a youtube video of this walk, I'm a little concerned that it might trigger my husband's vertigo. Do any of you know of this being a probem with this hike?

Thanks in advance!

jan

Re: Agia Irini and vertigo

by jan » 25 Jul 2017, 10:14

I'm not a vertigo sufferer so it's difficult to know what triggers the 'panic' response, but the Agia Irini descent is one of the more popular walks and I've seen it done by people who, to put it politely, appear from their choice of footwear not to be regular walkers!

On the assumption that you'll be intending to start from the top and walk down, there's only one section which could be described as at all airy, and that's a stepped descent which has a wooden barrier rail for protection. The steps are wide, so one could walk on the inside to avoid the view.

If you walk up, which plenty of people do, unless you actively choose to look down I can't think of anything which could cause concern.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the walk.

rambler

by rambler » 25 Jul 2017, 21:07

Yes agree totally with that reply. I have led this walk several times & nearly 2 years ago with a lady who suffers a mild form of vertigo & she had no problem at all with that one section. It is a lovely gorge with a good amount of trees in it. Would advise to start earlyish as you will be in shadow for some time, if you are travelling from Sougia get the 0700 bus. It is about 1.5 hours from the exit at the bottom of the gorge to Sougia along the road then take the dried up stream bed into Sougia. There is a cafe at the top end & a nice taverna at the bottom end.
Enjoy Dave

lightmoorlass

by lightmoorlass » 26 Jul 2017, 09:41

That's put my mind at ease - thank you both so much!