Anopolis to Kalli Lakki down the Sfakiano gorge Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

styacke

Anopolis to Kalli Lakki down the Sfakiano gorge

by styacke » 09 Feb 2017, 10:07

Can anyone tell me where the way down from Kalli Lakki starts into the Gorge down to the Ay Pavlos church. We know the way from Trikoukia to get into the gorge ( follow the blue and white signs!)? Thanks for the info on path to and from KL to Scarfida by the way. This trip presupposes we get to KL from Anopolis of course.
Styacke

mike

Re: Anopolis to Kalli Lakki down the Sfakiano gorge

by mike » 09 Feb 2017, 11:21

Following the road from Trikoukia to Kalli Lakki, there is an open hilltop on left of road, at last turn into Kalli Lakki.
overview.jpg

The pin Kl2 marks a tree with a makeshift stone seat, which is the start of the way down:
KaliLakiStart.jpg

Pin Kl12 is the chapel.

Here is overview of the route (other pins mark location of photos I took, irrelevant for you):
GPS-KaliLaki_2010.jpg

Starting from the tree the entire route is marked with blue dots. However, once you get to the start of the kalderimi, it is in such good shape that the blue dots aren't needed.

By the way, the route from Trikoukia is terrible, and a complete waste of time.

What's your plan for the entire day? Walk from Anopoli to KL then down the Sfakiano gorge will be a long day ..
Taking morning bus to Imbros, follow road to KL then down gorge, might get you to Sfakia in time for bus back up to Anopoli.

simon-1978

by simon-1978 » 09 Feb 2017, 11:32

The path is also shown in the Anavasi map Sfakia/Pachnes - latest versions:
http://mountains.gr/product.php?lang=gr&id=84

Best wishes
Simon

styacke

by styacke » 09 Feb 2017, 11:43

Thanks very much Mike and Simon. I think you are right about the long day and we are not as young as we were. We will just go on the road to KL but its very boring and long as I know having come down it from Trikoukia after Niato. Maybe some one will drive us to Scafida? I will ask Poppy.That would help us along. She used to us. Yes I have ordered the latest Anavasi. Thanks again. Planning is fun but much harder to walk!
styacke

langsten

by langsten » 13 Feb 2017, 12:39

Styacke.

Just a couple of additional comments to complement what Mike and Simon have said.

The complete walk is long. But, I am nearing the end of my seventh decade, and last year I started from the entrance to the Sfakiano gorge, walked up to Kalli Laki, on to Anopolis, and then down to Loutro. It was, indeed, a long day - about 12 hours. But not overwhelming. I had plenty of time to rest, and enjoy the views.

I agree with you that the road from Imbros is long and boring. I strongly urge you to take the path up from the Anopolis side. It is not in very good shape, and can be hard to follow in parts. But, it's worth it. You go up to as high as 1300-1400 meters. It's very peaceful, and you have some great views.

If someone gives you a drive part way up, the path starts at the switchback that can be seen on Google Earth at about: 35Deg 15' 57.04" N; 24Deg 07' 11.95" E. The path is just to the right (east) of a ravine that crosses the road there.

I don't have the type of details about the path that Mike might be able to provide. Some places are obscure. There are red dots to help you. In places there is good kalderimi. Basically you go mostly north for a while, before turning east, and then at the abandoned fields surrounded by a stone wall (35Deg 16' 15.54" N; 24Deg 07' 43.72" E; the open spot you can see on Google Earth) you turn mostly south, down a ravine, into Kalli Laki. As best I can tell, there is no path down the ravine, and there are no dots after you leave behind the stone wall. If you go down the ravine you'll end up in Kalli Laki.

Once in Kalli Laki I recommend that you take some time to explore the ruins of the stone houses. They have some features I've not seen elsewhere in Sfakia. One has a very well preserved stone arch.

Mike has provided excellent instructions for finding the path down to Aghios Paulos. However, he is more sanguine than I am about the state of the kalderimi. It is true, that, for the most part, it is in pretty good shape. But, there are places where you have to look carefully and where you could go wrong - especially on the first bit after you leave the crest of the hill. The blue dots will help.

Enjoy the walk.

Ray.

styacke

by styacke » 13 Feb 2017, 13:20

Thanks so much Ray. We too are getting on now and slower than we used to be unfortunately but have have enjoyed(!) walking (scrambling) all over Crete and Sfakia (and Dikti/Lassithi and the Tripti/Orno mountains in the East). We will attempt it from Anopolis but if we only get to KL along the difficult path above and between Scarfida and KL we can always get down to Imbros from KL on the road and try the gorge another day. We had always wanted to get to KL anyway.
Thanks again. Styacke

mike

by mike » 13 Feb 2017, 16:56

he is more sanguine than I am about the state of the kalderimi

:) A role reversal here .. I am usually the voice of caution. However, Ray, you are right. I can think of a few tricky spots. It's always better, when hiking around Sfakia, to not assume anything will be easy.

I have never walked down the ravine from the enclosure to KL. I haven't seen an Anavasi map in a while: I recall this ravine route being marked on the map one or two editions ago. I can only say that the red dots, if still present, marked the old route to Trikoukia that passed above KL. So, they are to be ignored after the enclosure. Going down the ravine probably requires paying attention to the correct terrain cues and perhaps a compass bearing.

There is a route from Anopoli up to Scarfidia that almost completely avoids all the roads. But it doesn't save much time, since the footing is worse than the road, can't walk as fast, may need more time for checking route etc.

All in all, Styacke, it would be worth the effort to find a ride up the road as far as possible, which should (assuming early start) give a lot of time to get to KL and down gorge at a pace that allows you to enjoy the scenery.

styacke

by styacke » 13 Feb 2017, 18:05

Thanks Mike. We are very aware of the surprises and this sounds like a tricky route which will tax the old map, GPS and orienting skills etc and the feet. We 'll ask Poppy for a lift early for 7 am if anyone is up. That should give us 12 hours. Otherwise we will try to get to KL on the paths and then decide depending on the time we make which way we go. For us its the routes rather than the destinations. Many of our old paths are now destroyed esp. in the east ( since late 70s/80s) by the road diggers or blocked by netting/fences or just disused but we have a record of them in their late prime when donkeys/mules still were used in the upper fields and plains and you were made to have a lift on one whether you wanted it or not!
Styacke

langsten

by langsten » 18 Feb 2017, 10:31

Styacke.

A few more comments.

1) From the enclosure above KL, going down the ravine is easy. It's not steep. And the sides of the ravine are not steep. It's marked on the Anavasi map I have - but as I said, if there's a path in the ravine, I didn't see it. As long as you're in the ravine, and keep going down, you'll end up in KL. Just walk wherever the path forward looks easiest.

2) If you're in KL, it is almost certainly quicker to go down to Aghios Paulos and down the gorge than it is to walk around on the road to Imbros. That walk on the road is long and boring.

3) In terms of the path from KL to Aghios Paulos, there are some tricky bits. But the point is simply to be sensible. If you get off the path, just go back to where you are sure you are on the path again. Look around very carefully to be sure you stay on the path past wherever the tricky bit is. Most of the path is clear. There are the blue dots, and much of the kalderimi is in pretty good shape. What you're doing is going down a ridge. The path cuts back and forth across that ridge. You can find your way, if you take care.

4) The Aghios Paulos church sits on a ridge above the gorge bottom. There are some remnants of a kalderimi that used to go down into the gorge, but most of it is gone. Just go down into the gorge on the east side of the ridge. It's not too steep, and that's the side of the ridge where the path in the gorge passes.

5) The Sfakiano gorge, itself, is a very easy walk. The stones in the gorge bed can be tedious. But there are no barriers that present a challenge. It's just a nice gentle slope down.

6) Near the end of the gorge is a fence. On the right (west side) is a kalderimi that takes you out of the gorge onto a shepherd's road. At that stage it makes sense to get out of the gorge and walk the dirt road down to the tarmacked road to Chora Sfakion.

Ray.

styacke

by styacke » 18 Feb 2017, 11:07

Thanks Ray. Will do as you say and just keep going back to the path or a dot if we go wrong and use the landscape to work things out. We have done this many times before but it really helps to know someone has been there before! Gives us some confidence. Evidently its the bit to KL and the bit to Agios Pavlos which are the really tricky bits! Best not to start down to Ag P too late! We will certainly try to get a lift in Anopolis. Our days can be flexible to fit a lift.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help.
Styacke