R.I.P. Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

mike

R.I.P.

by mike » 11 Nov 2016, 20:35

R.I.P.

It both saddens and pleases me to report the passing, after almost 15 years of dependable service, of my old pair of Meindl® Ortler hiking boots. Sad, because we covered a lot of ground together, and I had become attached to them.

Pleased, because of the Christmas feeling that came with buying a new pair. Here they are together, the old-timers and the rookies:
Boots.JPG

A few more photos:
Boots-02.JPG

Boots-03.JPG

Boots-04.JPG

It will be a long 6 month wait before I can introduce the rookies to the rocky terrain of the Lefka Ori,

Erno
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P.

by Erno » 11 Nov 2016, 20:44

Kαλόριζικό (kalórizikó) Mike! At least you have time enough to wear them in before trying them out in the Lefka Ori.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com

Jean

by Jean » 11 Nov 2016, 22:24

I think all boot manufacturers should try out their products in the Lefka Ori. Mine certainly won't last 15 years - the toe caps are already shredded after 2!

Yuriy

by Yuriy » 12 Nov 2016, 21:08

Mike - it's !!! !!! !!!

Yuriy

Huck

by Huck » 13 Nov 2016, 08:44

Scarpa, Meindl, Salomon etc.

I don't think my hiking shoes have ever lived longer than max. 8 weeks.

After 3 weeks they begin to fall apart and I'll have to glue them and after another 4 - 5 weeks they are totally worn down.

rambler

by rambler » 14 Nov 2016, 11:17

The answer to the rough Sfakian terrain is to take a pair of old non-waterproof boots that are no-good in our damp british climate & leave them behind in sunny Sfakia- in a waste bin of course!! I still have about 5 pairs left to sacrifice to Sfakia!
Dave

mike

by mike » 14 Nov 2016, 17:35

The 'shoe' part of these boots are made from only two pieces of leather (front of foot and heel ) stitched together. Ankle support section made from additional pieces. Double stitching throughout. Also, the soles are grade B/C. When I was shopping for the original pair these were recommended to me precisely for their durability.

The advice proved correct, and it was money well-spent. They're about the same price of an equivalent grade boot made with artificial fabrics and glue.

A replacement pair was difficult to find, though. Stitched leather boots apparently don't sell and stores in my area don't carry them (and none on sale anywhere in The Netherlands). I had to order from the Meindl factory, and waited 5 months for them to be delivered .. as Meindl had no more in stock and had to make a new batch.

Michael

by Michael » 14 Nov 2016, 18:28

Hi Mike,
nice thread of you... :lol:
my previous Meindl boots survived only 2 years in Crete and during this time they had to be repaired in factory 3 times. :oops:
Now I'm happy with my second pair of Hanwag Yukon Wide which is the best boot I've ever had the chance to try.
Img_1851.jpg
Really twins!

Img_1852.jpg
Levka Ori kill boots...

But how you managed to walk 15 years with the same boots will remain a mystery to me. :mrgreen:
Best wishes

Michael
Many people die at 25 and aren't buried until they are 75.
(Benjamin Franklin)

Huck

by Huck » 14 Nov 2016, 19:27

Michael wrote:
... But how you managed to walk 15 years with the same boots will remain a mystery to me....

What boots are the Cretan shepherds wearing..?

Erno
Site Admin

by Erno » 14 Nov 2016, 21:01

Traditionally, a Cretan shepherd was wearing the katsoúna (kατσούνα, cane), saríki (σαρίκι, turban), tsánda (τσάντα, bag) and stivánia (στιβάνια, leather boots).

crete-shepherd.jpg

Nowadays they are wearing the same kind of boots as hikers.
All the best,

Erno
webmaster Sfakia-Crete.com