Anopolis/Aradena/Marmara then Loutro Share and discuss the many routes and paths in the mountains, along the coast, and on the plains of Sfakia. Post your walk description, add photos, and discuss safety. Use information at your own risk.

Mihalis

Anopolis/Aradena/Marmara then Loutro

by Mihalis » 05 Jun 2016, 04:11

I would like to see Aradena, walk the Aradena gorge, swim in Marmara and then go to Loutro. Can someone explain to me the logistics of this? I will be leaving a car in Hora Sfakion. Is there a bus/taxi to Anopoli? Once in Anopoli, is Aradena accessible by foot? IS the gorge easy to find?
After walking Aradena and swimming in Marmara, what is the best way to get to Loutro? I am a good athletic walker. I'm just worried if it's a dangerous walk?

Thank you!

Huck

Re: Anopolis/Aradena/Marmara then Loutro

by Huck » 05 Jun 2016, 08:43

Yes, Ardaena is accessible by foot from Anopoli but it'll probably take you a good hour's walk to get there…

You might prefer to take a taxi all the way from Chora Sfakion to Aradena (€ 30 - 35) and once you're in Aradena you can't possibly miss the gorge.

I believe there is even a bus from Chora Sfakion to Aradena. The bus route does show up on KTEL's homepage but without a timetable.

From Marmara to Loutro you can either catch the boat around 5 p.m. (€ 4) or walk. The walk is safe (though I have heard of people panicking on the path?!?) and it'll take you 1,5 hours to walk to Loutro.

There is a shortcut from Anopoli to Marmara which will take you through the last third of the Aradena gorge: Find the path from Anopoli to Livaniana and when you reach Livaniana you walk down into the gorge and out to Marmara

KTEL: http://rethymnon.com/TheBus-Bus-Service ... s3han.html (click on the desired town)

Taxi: http://www.sfakia-crete.com/sfakia-crete/transfers.html (it may be a good idea to book the taxi a day ahead of the walk)

Mihalis

by Mihalis » 05 Jun 2016, 09:54

thank you so much!

Huck

by Huck » 05 Jun 2016, 19:35

Apparently it is only a matter of clicking on the right town…

If you click on Sfakia and scroll down a bit you'll see the chora Sfakion – Anopoli – Aradena timetable.

Catching the 9 o'clock bus from Chora Sfakion to Aradena will give you all the time you need to walk down through the gorge, have a dip at Marmara beach, and perhaps even a lunch at the taverna, and then walk to Loutro.

(The last ferry from Loutro to Chora Sfakion departs from Loutro at 18:10).

Ferry timetable: http://www.anendyk.gr/pages/en/timetable.php

rambler

by rambler » 05 Jun 2016, 21:07

The best way to walk the Aradena gorge is up it, as there are several scrambly bits which are easier to ascend. There is no real exposure on these. The only slight exposure you may feel is the section about 30 mins after you enter the gorge from Aradena where the path ascends the right hand side to avoid huge boulders. There is a hand rail here. Again Like the scrambly bits it is less daunting if u ascend the gorge. However ascending u will of course not be able to swim at Marmara!!
If you do decide to descend then if u can do the gorge u will have no trouble on the slight exposure on the path about 30 mins after leaving Marmara just before the path reaches the beach at Lykkos. It is a great gorge with the scrambles & in between the path is relatively flattish with often small stones, so occasionally u can look around to see the Vultures, Crag Martins & possibly Choughs. Have a great walk.
Dave

denisc

by denisc » 06 Jun 2016, 12:51

If you have a difficulty with heights, you may wish to avoid a section of the cliff walk between Marmara and Likkos.
About 1k from Marmara, as the path climbs upwards, you will see a big cave ahead of you. An alternate route talks you up above the cave - path to the left - and then you have a fairly gentle slope to take you back down on the dirt road from Livaniana to Likkos.
Enjoy.

Huck

by Huck » 06 Jun 2016, 16:33

denisc wrote:... An alternate route talks you up above the cave - path to the left - and then you have a fairly gentle slope to take you back down on the dirt road from Livaniana to Likkos...

Coastal path (brown) and alternative route (green): https://goo.gl/4Jepl9

mike

by mike » 07 Jun 2016, 08:42

I'm just worried if it's a dangerous walk?

The simplest walks are dangerous walks if people don't know what they are doing. I see it every year. People's lack of knowledge/awareness is the biggest danger they face. In fact, if you browse this forum for the not infrequent news reports of lost hikers etc. then you will often see statements of the sort:

I am a good athletic walker.

Result: they walk themselves into problems, because it is knowledge that they lack, not past walking experience.

When I read a question about how to find Aradena from Anopoli then, seriously, you need to rethink how you make plans.

My advice: buy a map. Anavasi sells good ones.

Joanna

by Joanna » 07 Jun 2016, 10:57

I think you already got many valuable hints above. Walking down Aradena is just great and once you get to Marmara you can eat-drink-swim and then take a taxi boat back to Loutro. You can call a taxi boat (I think there's a phone number on the right side of the beach) or ask in the taverna when does the next one come. There's not much you can do wrong once you got to the beach - taking a boat back home is the nicest option after walking.

However... you should carefully watch your steps and follow the signs (there are some) in order to stay on the trail running on the side of the gorge (the upper half of the walk). There are parts with some handtrail. You are not supposed to take the iron ladder. Otherwise you will need to seek your path to climb down multiple bigger rocks, these are kind of unsafe. (But I'm still not sure about what exactly you mean by dangerous).

Maybe you would like to check at least youtube for videos (there are so many of them...) - they really won't spoil the surprise of the real experience but you can make up your mind if you want to go.

Last but not least: take water with you, have a great time.
Last edited by Joanna on 11 Jun 2016, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

Frank

by Frank » 07 Jun 2016, 17:12

If you take the bus in the morning there will still be plenty of shade in the gorge. From Marmara to Loutro however is very exposed and shadeless, it will be a very hot walk of 1,5 hours. There are tavernas in both small bays that you'll walk along, but bring plenty of water anyway. Alternatively you could do it the other way around starting in the morning in Loutro when it's not so hot yet, although that will also mean less shade in the gorge.
I personally prefer to climb the old iron ladders in the gorge. If you are sure footed and not afraid of heights they are not a big deal in my experience, just take it easy and be safe.